I believe Nagano is getting snow above 1000m

Joshnii, maybe you and the other self-styled purists would like to inform us of when we are allowed to get excited about the coming winter, and communicate with excitment about our upcoming plans...

I, for one, along with Fattwins and Toque, Sakitomi and others, are looking forward to winter mountain entertainment (not necessarily the polluting, environmentally scarring type you're probably in to) and I, for one, am getting tired of self-righteous dicks hijacking threads pertaining to recent snowfall. If you read the reports, rain is a greater threat than snow anyway.

If you want to be of help to the Niigata crowd, send your duvet, start your own thread, get your arse up there and volunteer, or drop your yearly snowboarding budget into a rebuilding fund. Yes, it's pretty bad what's happening, but there's enough shit going on in this world for us to feel guilty about, things we actively do every day to make the world a worse place, without sanctioning excitment, wishes and dreams.

To the Japanese Government - get yer rich arse together and shelter your people (a day's worth of suspended dollar bond buying should more than suffice to cover costs)

To snow lovers - let's get excited...

Joshnii, hope you're ok. You got the cummulative effect, the leftovers from the other hijacked thread piled on..

Yes, I have no self-interest in Niigata snow, hope you get no precipitation whatsoever.

Back to snow though, I was interested to see the Jap sea snow machine effect from the satelite pictures... very early for that! A weekend hike may be in order.

Delayed snowfall in Niigata would obviously help alleviate suffering there, no question. If you can't repair roads and housing before the snow starts, might have to wait till spring, etc... who wants that?

That said, though, if people stay away from Niigata during the snow-season later on, that would also adversely affect local business revenues, affecting resorts, hotels, restaurants, etc. Remember how Kobe lost its tourism sector right after their quake?

• SnowJapan Admin

Don't want to hijack a thread, but just to add to that.....as you might imagine, hotels (here in Yuzawa) are seeing mass cancellations over the last few days - quite a few even for the winter months. Just been on the phone to a few and they are empty right now and the phone is off the hook ringing with cancellations.

Quote:
I, for one, am getting tired of self-righteous dicks hijacking threads pertaining to recent snowfall
Exactly, the earthquake and the suffering of the victims couldn't have come at a more inconvenient time. It has nothing to do with us and it is nothing but annoying to pleasure loving people like us.

Nice people.

I see a mention of el nino above. I've been thinking, and was wondering what some of you thought about this as well.

With all the rain that has fallen in Japan this year, and there has been a fvcking lot, in a lot of different areas, I was wondering how that translates into snow. I was thinking, perhaps there is only so much precipitaion that can rise from the oceans, cool and form clouds, then travel to a land mass, hit some mountains and rise again, cool and become more dense then fall onto said mountains as soft fluffy powder......what do you think. Is it possible to just keep getting more and more precipitation, and thus and good, strong season even after so much rain in the summer.

I tried to track this kind of thing last year. There was again, a lot of rain my area (more then was too be expected), and the snow season started off looking pretty good. But it just didn't have much longevity to the season, and we had some rain in Feb last year and a spell of warmish weather which kind of screwed the BC conditions at least. Although i had a great time last season, I wouldn't label it 'best ever' or anything like that.

Any thoughts ? ? ? ? ?

P.S. white mountain tops this morning (looks just like the small little squares with albert hofmann and his bicycle - if you know what I mean....) I guess the snowline is at about 1,300m or so around here. I saw just a few flakes falling in town when I went out to get some bread. Alas, there was no bread, it must all be further north in Niigata.

This may well be utter bollocks, I don't know. But I'll post it anyway.

I heard that there was only a certain amount of precipitation in an average year, so that if there's tons of rain, then there will be less snow.

What say people to that.

It sounds implausible to me. A lot of the rain came from typhoons, which I believe are formed of gassified seawater, and there's plenty of water there for everybody. They're formed because the sea is warm. I can't see how, because a lot of typhoons were formed, it would limit precipitation in other seasons. In 2002 which had a lot of snowfall, it didn't rain so much earlier I don't think, but I don't believe that makes any difference.

As for the vexed question of whether we're going to allow it to get cold and snow in Niigata or not, I'd like to point out that we don't actually have a say in the matter either way...

Whether people hope it snows or hope that it doesn't will have 0 effect on the weather.

It's not like people who want to go skiing are making it snow.

Rounding up the collective snow stopping hope power of a bunch of snowboarders/skiers living in Japan is about as useful as...

If you want to do something useful and it has to involve this forum you could start a thread about how, where, what and how much to donate to the people who need it. That might actually have some sort of real effect.

Exactly - f#@k off. This forum is for talking snow and pleasure. If you want to do something for the victims, do it elsewhere.

By the by, just wondering if any of the nice people do anything (outside this forum of course) apart from saying that this is the Japanese government's problem or suggesting to others to donate their duvets.

Not so many years ago it was true, as weather patterns were fairly predictable. Now, however, trad patterns are not so reliable. I think Ocean nailed it... all the typhoons have brought more rainfall, but 'real rain (frontal/monsoonal)' for many areas failed to materialize at all.

And then there's the Japan sea effect. Cold dry winds as well as fronts can bring heavy snowfall to Japan, so where does that leave us?

Quote:
Exactly - f#@k off. This forum is for talking snow and pleasure. If you want to do something for the victims, do it elsewhere.

By the by, just wondering if any of the nice people do anything (outside this forum of course) apart from saying that this is the Japanese government's problem or suggesting to others to donate their duvets.
Well done. You just spent 3 minutes of your life continuing to not help. If you were really as benevolent as your making out you might have spent that time starting your own thread saying where and how you gave to the victims and challenge others to do the same.
Face it your as useless as I am.