where to see turning leaves before Oct 9?

Thought I'd better start a new thread for this. My parents are coming to Japan at the end of the week, should be a lot of fun. They'll be a week in Tokyo, then a week in Kyoto/Nara, and a I think 4 or 5 days in Hiroshima area and back to Tokyo for a few days before heading back to Oz on Oct 9. I'm hoping to get down to Kyoto for 3-4 days to hang with them. They're a little early for the changing leaves, but I figured that if they took a day trip to the mountains they might find some, even if they do that during their Hiroshima stay, which will be 1st week of October.

Anyone have any ideas as to where I can point them this early?

Also, they will have Japan Rail Passes, so it would be easy for them to do a day trip on the shink to Nagano vicinity from Tokyo. If we go up there, where would be a good place to visit on a day trip? And no, they don't want to see trendy shops in places like Kuriazawa, or cities. It would be nice for them to go somewhere that has some good natural places to check out that's not too taxing on them. Are there any smaller populated areas - maybe Yuzawa (which I've never been too). Not even sure how long it takes to get there from Tokyo.

Anyway, I know there are some SJ folks living up in them thar hills away in that thar region who might be able to offer some advice...

thanx

Also, for Fattwins: they have hotels booked (lucky them!), any recs for a nice ryokan not so far from the station in Kyoto? I don't really want to stay in a hotel myself. If I'm going to Kyoto I'd like to do it a bit more tradtitionally. thanx.

If I go to see Koyo around Hiroshima, I would love to go to Miyajima. I heard Mino(mountain?) in Osaka is good. But October is too early for Koyo in west, isn't it?

I think mountains in Nagano like Kamikochi should be good for your parents to see Koyo in October. It'll be difficult for daytrip from Tokyo, so I recommend you to book Ryokan for them.

Take them on the Tateyama Alpine route. Pretty expensive but you get to ride transport all the way through the North Alps and right through Tateyama.

I was in that area on the weekend and the leaves are turning there for sure.

So that is pretty much anywhere up high in the North Alps.

didn't the shrine inmNiyajima get partially washed away last week ? I went there a few years ago, and the place is/was very cool indeed \:\) It would be a shame if you could visit the shrine area though, but there is plenty of wild deer to get you occupied.

Sunrise, I live in the Yuzawa area, and yeah, the trees are starting to turn. I should imagine that there is enough walking/strolling around the area to keep them busy for a day. BTW, Yuzawa is about 1hr 20 min from tokyo stn.

Go see Nikko. great little place with the see no evil bla blah blah monkeys and some beautiful temples. A little touristy at times but definitely worth the look. also quite a nice lake there and the biggest (I think) waterfall in Japan..keigon (again,I think.

Its a nice day trip and you get to see monkeys!!! Also there is a dude who will carve your name in kanji/katakana or English onto a block of wood for only 500yen + cost of the wood. great little souvenir.

and its only a short trip from Tokyo

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm really glad to hear that the leaves are turning in the alps. They'll definitely want to check that out. I think where they (we?) go will depend on their time. Though young at heart they're not as young as they used to be, so they don't want to be rushing around too much.

Yuzawa sounds like it could be easiest, thanks stripper. I assume it's easy to get away from the 'crowds' out there? What kinds of things are there to check out from walking around?

I'd love to send them to Tateyama, Toque. Your route sounds really beautiful. When you say 'ride transport' do you mean train? If so, it's probably JR, if so their Japan Rail passes would cover that. Though of course it I go too, I'd have to pay. But - how to you get to that neck of the woods? From Kyoto rather than Tokyo I assume. And how long would it take from whichever city they start out in? I've been to Takayama where you are, years and years ago. I remember that train ride was really beautiful.

Hey Yuki - are those places you mentioned north of Hiroshima nice to visit even before the turning leaves? It would be nice to suggest some places for my parents to hang out at besides the town. I'm sure they'll found some, but of course the locals know best. If by some chance work comes up and I can't get away to Kyoto, I might go down there, though I'm not so interested in the city, but if they're heading for the nearby hills that would be more incentive for me to join them there, too. Where abouts are you?

Slow, how do you get to Kamikochi? They already have all their hotels pre-booked so they had said they weren't thinking of staying overnight anywhere else, but the beauty of the mountains might stir them enough - after all, they're ex skiers, and bigtime nature lovers. I think the main thing is that they don't want to be rushing from here to there all the time. (I think staying overnight in the moutains would be ideal myself!) Would you like to join us if we get there?

Where's Niyajima? My limited Japanese makes me assume that jimas are islands. If it's an island that sounds cool!

They won't be going to Osaka.

If I get into any SJ people's areas I'll try and hook up just to say hi even for 5 minutes.... always nice to meet other SJ folk.

Oh boy, all this talk is making me miss the countryside like crazy. It's ridiculous that I live in such a beautiful country and I let myself stay cooped up in Tokyo for most of the time. I'm a country person at heart, but I usually only get to travel when I have out of town gigs and all my transport and accomodation is paid for, but that's not so often. I'm looking forward to taking time out to get out of Tokyo while my folks are here. Those mountains sound damn good! I've been working on the cover art for my CD the past 3 months (it's a bigggg booklet). It's nearly done so taking a break and getting the hell outta Tokyo would be nice reward for finally finishing a 4 year long project.....

Thanks Maoriboy, don't think the leaves will be changing, but Nikko is a good place to go. They're planning to go there anyway. Last time they came, about 6 years ago, we did a day trip there, but it was raining all day, so we didn't really get to see much.

Wow, Toque, that looks very very nice. I'm sure it's a beautiful neck of the woods. Thanks for posting that. I hope I can talk them into staying the night somewhere besides their currently booked hotels. How long do you think it would take to do the whole route? Definitely an all day trip.

Sunrise, Im in Kobe now but spent many years in Hiroshima. Those areas are in the northern areas of Hiroshima and are not the most accessable places - def. need a car. There use to be a train out to Sandankyo but they closed it at about halfway. I would recommend only a day or two are needed for Hiro., especially if you dont have a car. If you can rent then everything changes. Can ya? If not, then spend time in some other places - I really like Hiro but there are so many other places that should/could be visited.

Lemme know if youre coming through Kobe, all I can recommend here is Rokko but Im sure some longer Kansai residents would point you in the right direction ;\)

Thanks Yuki.

Well, they won't be coming as far as Kobe, but there's a small possibility I might have to go there myself at some point in the next few months, if I do I'll drop you a line.

As for cars I don't think they're going to bother with renting, since they're happy with their railpass which is going to get them to most of the places they want to see during their stay. Which reminds me, I really must get my J-driver's license. Being Aussie it's an easy thing to do, though I don't want to drive in Tokyo so I haven't bothered so far, but renting a car for country jaunts could be fun in the future. So I wouldn't have a license to drive even if I got down there with them.

Toque, my mother just sent me an email and said that route you suggested looks really lovely and even though they have their hands full with all the places and things they want to do/see in Kyoto she's going to see if they can fit it in. So thanks for that.

Sunrise, you never been to Miyajima? I'm sure you will love Miyajima. It's very sacred place.

Miyajima, Itsukushima jinja

Quote:
Oh boy, all this talk is making me miss the countryside like crazy. It's ridiculous that I live in such a beautiful country and I let myself stay cooped up in Tokyo for most of the time. I'm a country person at heart,...
I feel same, sunrise. I always want to go to mountain and feel the nature. I would love to look up sky full of stars. Tateyama looks very nice. My mom tried part of that route several years ago and she really enjoyed it.

There are so many beautiul places in this country, I have to explore more...

sunrise, I don't thnk you would have too much trouble with the 'crowds' in Yuzawa. without having a car, I guess your parents are going to be a little restricted. However, Yuzawa being soooo close to Tokyo, I imagine it would be a short plesant break in the country. the town definitly has a 'country town' feel to it, and as I said, it is only about 1:20 hrs from Tokyo. There are mountians/ski fields all within a short walk of the station. Provided you pick a sunny day, it might be nice to just walk around outside the 'rat-race' for a day. there is also the usual onsen places too.......

Ah, so that's Miyajima. thanks slow.

Toque, I'll definitely let you know if they get there.

Stripper, mountains and ski fields within a short walk to the station is perfect.

I don't think my folks will feel too restricted without a car cos they're just excited to be in Japan and a lot of the things they want to see/do in the cities they'll be visiting they don't really need a car. Sure it's nice to have, but I don't think driving around in a Tokyo traffic jam is anyone's idea of a vacation ;\) Of course in the countryside a car is much much better to have, but for a day trip they'll really enjoy what they see anyway.

Personally I'll just be extremely happy to get out of Tokyo, car or no car!