The Worst Things About Tokyo

Ive complained lots about Tokyo on a different thread but those examples where just stoopid.

"The toilets. And despite claims that they’re more sanitary (which I highly doubt), they usually smell terrible." Geeze, good one sherlock, find me a toilet that doesnt smell like %hit ya wanker. They most certainly are more sanitary. I prefer the Jap toilets when Im out and about in public, but love me western heated gizmo toilet at home.

"2. Sore Feet – I don’t know how they do it, but I saw women walking around town with stiletto heels as if their feet didn’t hurt." I dunno either. Maybe a western woman or Japanese woman could explain how they do this.

"3. The games – Japan usually (especially in the cases of games released by Japanese publishers) gets the major titles far in advance of the rest of the world..." So what? Too fooking bad. Cry me a river - how long do we usually have to wait for movies???

"4. The language – Not to be a downer, but the Japanese 1 class you took in your sophomore year in high school isn’t going to do you much good when it comes to speaking to people on the street and having them understand you." How many SJers had Japanese in high school?

"On the up side, if you did take some Japanese and you remember at least Hiragana and Katakana, it should help you read signs, menus, and anything else not already translated into English." Is there any place in Tokyo that doesnt have everything translated into English besides the Pink Houses?

"5. Lack of internet access – Well, not if you’re a local with a handy cell phone, but places to hook up to the internet or just check your email seemed to be spread out a lot further than in the U.S." Spread out a lot further than the States? Yeah, considering Japan is sooooo big, I see your point.

6. There’s too much to see! – right, take 3 days and get outta Tokyo and see so many more historical and beautiful places.

Got feedback? Yeah, your article sucked :rolleyes:

I am no fan of Tokyo, but that list is meaningless rubbish. Tokyo is one of the few places I have seen pay phones with ethernet jacks that allow you to hook up your laptop. Mind you, I never tried it.

And the toilets.... I spent some time in Milan last week and was confronted with pretty much the exact same thing as in Tokyo. But unlike Tokyo, Milan also offered up the most consistent and constant flow of utterly stunning and well dressed women that I have ever seen in my entire life. Holy cow! Any country/city that I may have previously granted the award to has been smashed from the mantle and Milano now sits firmly a top the throne. The best part is they are not afraid of the opposite sex! I have never been looked at and smiled at by women so much in my life!! My return to the land of women fashioned (without any care or eye for beauty) from over-boiled mashed potato and turnip was indeed a depressing event, as was saying goodbye again to my Japanese friend whom I was meeting up with in Italy.

Anyway, back to the toilets....

The Italian women are lovely indeed and the whole country seems to ooze style to boot.

As for the article...yawn! Quite predictably lame as most articles about Japan are. The few good ones I've ever read have been in snowboard mags and some ones that came out following the Lucy Blackman murder. That one about the bankers on coke was pretty good as well. Otherwise they seem to be written by wide-eyed gumbies making hackneyed observations which lack any insight. Actually a lot of travel journalism fits into this catagory no matter what country is being written about. Maybe it's where in-flight magazine writers end up.