What makes a jacket good for BC? I am going to guess that it has improved waterproofness and breathability, important for long sweaty climbs. It might also have abetter hood set up for exposed blizzard stuff? Other than that, do I really need to buy a new jacket??? I really don't want to. Mine still smells good from the last two (unwashed) seasons.

I will get new pants though. Mine are way too lose around the waist and I need to keep my belt fully tightened to keep the snow (and girls) out. They just aren't comfortable unless I am doing easy resort laps or casual rope ducking and even then they get snow down them.

As for gloves, my Sessions mittens continue to amaze me. They are so warm, never sweaty always dry. I love my mittens.

You wait till I start asking all my beacon, pole, shovel etc questions.

First, what is "BC". Are you talking about the Canadian province? If so, where? The funtions on the clothing you use can change alot depending if you are on the coast or in the interior.

Or are you talking about "Back Country"? Same thing. Where do you plan to ride? I know some people that don't even wear a jacket if the weather is good (because all the hiking makes them so hot).

fair question. I meant back country. This year I plan to ride in Europe and dont anticipate any worse conditions than I have seen in past seasons (Swiss and Japan) with my 'normal' snowboard jacket that worked just fine.

Although I would one day like a jacket witha hood big enough to cover my helmut and also have a flap that goes across the front and up to my nose to block the freezing ice blast.

I imagine the key to BC gear, like any outdoor, mountaineering type gear is in how you use it.

The most important thing to remember is LAYER. Your outermost layer should be breathable, waterproof, and durable. Ventilation is good, and the weight of the Jacket will probably be related to durability, amongst other things. But it really isn't more complicated than that.

You do not want an insulated outer layer...insulation should come from your base layers.

danz

As Barok used to say.... Word.

I reckon my jacket is totally up to the job and I was distracted by marketing today when looking at so called BC gear.

But the more I think about pants (trousers for the UK people, not talking about underpants, literal bastards can't differentiate ;\) ) ... the more I think about trousers the more I might go for at least semi-bib style. They would really keep the snow out on a deep powder yard sale. Plus I would be able to pull the Danz lumberjack look. Plus no one would ever mistake me for a hip-hop park rail cool type.

I gotta say it again though, I really miss that massive Jimbocho range of shops. Poor London really is hard up for options to shop around. I am 99% sure that I will have to by a board, binding and boots off the internet. And that is just plain nuts. Standard strap binding/solid board/soft boot gear is reasonably available though.

Once again I think I managed to poke fun at more than one demographic in a single post. \:D

BagofCrisps &/or 2Pints: what is your best word on snowboard shops in London? Boardwise, The Snowboard Asylum... I have seen one or two more as well. Might have to get you a beer one of these days.

I agree with danz as for dressing in layers. I basicly have two jackets. One a gore-tex jacket with pit zips. It also should have pockets that are located more around the chest area. This allows use of pockets while you have a pack on. Some also double as a vent. I mainly use this for full on conditions.

The other jacket is a soft shell. These are extreamly breathable. They also offer some water restance. They seem to work in the snow but not suggested in rain. There great on sunny days when youre skining up a hill.

For a jacket I would go with a shell with waterproof reverse zippers, huge pit zips and powder skirt.

For pants a bib is really good. Even more so that you said your pants are really uncomfortable with the belt done up so tight. Bib s really good for keeping the snow out.

If you could grow up a little more I would seel you my G-tex bibs and Jacket with all the cool features. Never been used for the purpose that I bought them for.

Just picked up a lightweight Haglofs goretex hard-shell (non-insulated). Nice big pockets, hood and pit vents. It lacks a powder skirt, but I never used it anyway on my other jackets.

For some reason I thought triple-layer and double-layer referred to the layers of goretex used on the jacket. Then my gf pointed out it means the actual layers you wear underneath. oh well

No I think you were correct the first time around.

2 layers means 2 layers of gortex

3 layers means 3 layers of gortex

It's like toilet paper.

3 ply is the nice stuff rich people use

2 ply is for us mortals

1 ply is like carboard.

Two ply and three ply Actullay refer to the amount of material that is laminated togeather. Two ply is the outer shell laminated to the gore-tex. A seperate liner is then on the inside. Usally a net material or some type of light linear.

Three ply use the shell, the gor-tex and a another layer sandwiched togeather. there is no linear on the inside.

Quote:
Originally posted by Toque:
No I think you were correct the first time around.

2 layers means 2 layers of gortex
3 layers means 3 layers of gortex

It's like toilet paper.
3 ply is the nice stuff rich people use
2 ply is for us mortals
1 ply is like carboard.
I would say 1 ply is more like a fine yet rough enough (to cause damage) sandpaper

You should try those shiny bits of papaer that come included in those hand out tissues!

Slippery sharp and absolutly useless!

Ended up having to moon a basin tap and flush myself clean!

For BC stick to hardcore mountaineering (or nowadays, there's actually plenty of ski-mountaineering specific stuff). If you've got the money, get the strongest, lightest stuff available. Patagonia, marmot, arc'teryx make some fantastic stuff. gortex XCR (by the right designer) is a great weight/strength/performance mix.

layers, as mentioned, are the key. Bibs/semi bibs a must, with toughened inner lower legs to protect from crampon attacks.

Might wanna check out www.backcountrystore.com

Oh Miteyak, I am sorry. Turn that frown upside-down. What training do you do pre-season? I have been doing big runs in the mud and rain through the rambling heath near my place with lots of log Jumping and going up slippery wet hills. I hav ealso been working on torso/back strength for humping the small pack. Mu bungy shoulder seems to have 99% healed itself and I am feeling at my strongest in years. Cardiovascular is roaring as well. No tar in there anymore.

My only ailment is my ingrown toe which I have decided to treat myself my putting tee tree oil on it and waiting for it to go away. It doesn't hurt at all unless I kick something and is getting much better. Perhaps the lack of pain is because the toe has died and there is a gang of green in there \:\)

Do you really want to know, or are you just fishing to find out how boring, old, and fartish I really have become... ;\)

Oh well, what the hell...

No season specific stuff, all year training, a good week = heavy weight training 4x a week, cardio - xc machine/running/stat. bike high int. 5-6 sessions a week, 30 mins cycling (low/mid int.) a day... hope to increase the intensity in the coming weeks, just so I get to stop and wait for the lady more often once on the mountain...

and of course carry more of her pack!

Wish I could go running in mud though \:\(

Quote:
Originally posted by miteyak:
Ocean, my bibs have a nice big arse-zip that allows one to release whilst pretty much anywhere... even hanging from a harness...
too bad if your buddies are below you ;\) eek.gif
 Quote:
Originally posted by miteyak:
30 mins cycling (low/mid int.) a day...
I'm guessing you ride to work then Miteyak? how is it riding in Osaka?

Back to jackets, someone mentioned length or a powder skirt. Having a jacket that too short is a killer, especially when you stack and it rides up and your lower pants and back get packed with snow. Trust me I know \:\(
Danz is on the money with his call about not having an insulating in your outer layer, I made that mistake aswell, its Ok when just riding the chair all day. but start hiking and yuck.
Insulated outer layers are for Everest climbers and polar explorers.