I saw someone in the post office today that I knew (slightly) a few years back. We weren't friends or anything, but our paths crossed a few times. Anyway, he said ohisashiburi and all that, which I said as well of course with a genki desu ka thrown in. .. but after that it was a bit of an awkward silence. Any of you 'frequently' in Japanese ( lol.gif ) people, any other good expressions to use in a situation like this to just break a silence. I'm not so good at them ..

cool.gif

With a look of surpise and awe, say "eh, anata wa yaseta ja nai?" Even skinny people like to hear it and it will prompt an explanation as to why they are looking so good. \:\)

actually come to think of it I have heard people tell each other how fat they are! Talk about direct! Thats what gets me about Japanese. Sometimes it is aimai vague to the extreme, the next minute people who have never seen each other for 3 years tell the other they're fat!! lol.gif

That sounds like a good one and best suited to the situation. I'll try that next time.

I hate awkward silences, I can't cope with them well and usually end up blithering on about some nonsense - in rubbish Japanese too.