The unemployment rate's are listed in Japanese economic newspapers (or just google the question). However, the #'s are as unreliable as corporate balance sheets. The numbers given are based on a formula unique to japan with several key differences to other nations. I won't bore you with the details but the real figures aren't known, even approximately in most corporate sectors.

Is it any different to back home I wonder? I think its just shocking to lots of Japanese because it's a big change from the past when everyone wanted to be in the big companies for life and all that...

Many of those 'guard men' come flashing baton wavers are what could be described as hidden unemployment. I'd put the elevator girls in the same catagory, although some do serve an 'eye-candy' purpose. On the other hand you could argue that all of us Engurish senseis are hidden unemployment imported from foriegn countries lol.gif

Quote:
There are just so many freeta here now it is becoming problem. I don't think many of the people thinking hard about future and what it will bring (or not) for them.
I know a few who choose those kinds of jobs over being a slave to the Japanese system. Compare living in a big city working early to late in a suit with no real vacation time and 27 layers of fustrating management with working at a ski resort in winter, travelling extensively and doing other jobs in Summer.
I know which life I would rather describe as I lie on my death bed.
 Quote:
Many of those 'guard men' come flashing baton wavers are what could be described as hidden unemployment.
Are they seen that way from the Japanese point of view, or just ours? I'm sure those guys think they're "employed". Most of those dudes don't actually work for the construction companies etc, but for outsourced security companies, right? You'd think that if they were not needed (!), they're jobs would be cut in an effort to keep the project work.

That is great if it works out well, but for many it is a nightmare of scraping by or having constant loans and money problems. Some of my friends are in that situation right now, freeta and thinking they want to be /should be enjoying themselves but they basically aren't becasue they always don't have enough money. Some of them seem totally miserable.