I am in NY at present and noticed quite a few adverts for a puppet show called something like "Team America, International Cops". The premise is that a bunch of American puppets chase terrorists around the world.

My hotel (the Hilton) in directly across the road from 'ground zero'. My hotel window looks down into the pit. I can see everything in and around it and the hole/void is just as dramatic as the previous buildings were. As I sit in my room watching tv, it is an odd feeling that I get when I see adverts for American puppet characters who are "....International Cops" and then directly outside my window I see the reality of WTC Ground Zero. The blackness of the dichotomy had me scratching my head, to say the least.

They seem to be pushing a clip of a Kim Jong Il puppet singing a "I'm Ronely" song, but it isn't funny. On the news, they went out off their way to explain that the real Kim likes Hollywood musicals, but that didn't make it funny. As for the l/r thing, like the Japanese Navy with "Seaman Ship", you generally find that real-life mistaken English is 1000 times funnier than attempted satire upon it.

The other clip they had on was like Thunderbirds meets Police Squad. Police Squad-type humour has been done to death, so that wasn't especially funny either.

The film might be very good, but the clips I saw were not inspiring.

• 5 weeks later...