One place to avoid is popular bars/clubs. Just way too many people, unless you like waiting hours to get a drink and not being able to move. I was in Roppongi a few years ago and it wasn't much fun.

How about these places around Yokohama on NYE.

Motion Blue Yokohama - This place has count down jazz concert on NYE. If you have a seat near bar counter, you can see Yokohama Bay Bridge from the window. It's very romantic and good atmosphere. (Though You don't need to go there on NYE.)

Yamahita Park - You can hear boat whistle celeblating for New Year.

Kamakura - There are some temples you can ring bell and then go to Tsurugaoka Hachimangu for Hatsumode.

If you can stay up all night on NYE, you should go to Jogashima (Miura Peninshula) for first sunrise.

I like to go to local beach on New Year's Day and see Fuji san from there. It's very cold but sky is very clear and Fujisan from there is amazing! \:\)

Near where I live there's a good izakaya that is traditionally the place to be on NYE. Excellent atmosphere, everyone knows each other, the drinks are on the master-san (not all night!) - great place. I'll be there this 31st Dec.