Now, green vegetables are very expensive and I'm eating root vegetables more this fall. Gobo, Ninjin, Renkon, Daikon, Satoimo... So, I'm cooking Japanese food now much more often than before. "Chikuzen-ni" is my favorite and I'll try "Buri-Daikon" or "Daikon pot-au-feu" this winter!

What can you make with root vegetables? Is there any your favorite recipe?

\:\)

gobo - kimpira

carrots - carrot/coriander soup

daikon - oden-style nikomi

renkon - fill the holes with something spicy and deep fry kushikatsu style

potatoes - anyone one of a million, parboil then fry with herbs perhaps

onions - slowbake whole

I'll let you in on a secret.

There is a cookbook out there written by some Zen nuns from Tokyo, and the whole thing is completely vegan. And for the most part, contains traditional (and some esoteric) recipes. The thing is useless to me in Canada, because all the ingredients are seasonal vegetables from Japan, except a few like potatoes and carrots.

Anyways, it is the best japanese cookbook i've ever had and it has lots of great root-based recipes, like anko-stuffed lotus root, simmered potatoes and wakame, and carrot tsukemono.

Its called "Zen Vegetarian Cooking", and i think its published by Kodansha. I bought my copy about 7 years ago at the Narita airpot (as i was leaving the country), but i've seen it in the larger bookstores over there (in the English section).

Get it. Now.

nice looking book. I might check it out sometime. I like the sound of lotus-root with anko.

I tried to look inside the book (on Amazon), and instead it gave me the inside of Anatomy for Dummies. Maybe it's trying to tell me something? lol.gif

The anko-stuffed lotus root is a temple dish, not something you would find at someones home. The only time i made it was for New Years. i brought it over to a Japanese family's house, but they had never seen it before.

I think it came from China. The lotus is simmered in vinegar, and then stuffed with anko, giving it a kinda sweet 'n sour feel. Its really good though.

That looked like the one. But I wouldn't add sugar to the anko (if that's what they do for the sweet/sour taste). Still, it sounds great. When I get my act together to be cooking regularly again I'll think about checking out that book.