The Great USA vs UK Music Debate

In my opinion UK beats USA 2-1 in the following catagories:

Best Groups = UK

Best Solo acts = USA

Best Guitarists = UK

Best groups.

The beatles, The rolling stones, Pink Floyd, Queen, the list goes on and on and on. What does USA have to offer? The Doors? Nirvana? This one is no contest.

Best Solo Acts.

Michael Jackson, Marvin Gaye, Elvis, Madonna, Nina Simone, Frank Sinatra. Who do the UK have? Tom Jones? David Bowie? No contest again, this time in the USA's favour.

Best Guitarists.

A very close one. USA has Jimi Hendrix, but all the other US greats are actually crap (Van Halen etc). The UK has Jimmy Page and Eric Clapton, which I think is enough to beat Jimi Hendrix, without having to mention people like George Harrison, Brian May, Bernard Butler etc.

I am sure I have forgotten some people so feel free to flame away.

I think you will find that Jimi Hendrix mother was Scottish.

Log on to radio 2 I cannot remember the name of the programme .But it was on at 9 pm on Thursday night 9 Dec. If you click on play it again you will get A little history lesson in modern rock music. cool.gif

UK Band - Led Zeppelin! wow how did that not go to the top of the list!

U2! (they are only half Irish people! - the Edge was born in Essex antd Adam Clayton was born in Oxford) so you can include them in with UK)

I like Rock so Zep for me personally, The Beatles were bigger and greater but I never really got into their style.

Dire Straits - also British

My British picks for bands

Old school - Zep

Timeless - U2

new school - coldplay

US Bands - Dont forget the Eagles, Creedence, Pearl Jam, Red Hot chili Peppers.

US Solo acts - Bob Dylan, Paul Simon you can add to that great list.

UK Guitarist - Mark Knopfler - Scottish

Mark Knopfler is from Newcastle. It's in England!

I don't listen to rock music so much any more, but you're missing lots of great US rock bands.

Velvet Underground

Stooges

Beach Boys (esp. Pet Sounds-era)

Television

Suicide

Pixies

Dylan with The Band

Steely Dan

Talking Heads

Byrds

Of course, if you widen the radar and you've got loads of great soul, funk and jazz acts.

There are great British acts, but on the whole, US music beats UK music hands down. It's only really a contest if you focus on rock and even then, a lot of the British stuff people bring up (Zep, the Stones) sounds American. I think the best British stuff has a different sound. Maybe stuff like the Smiths, Kate Bush, Barrett-era Floyd, the Beatles once Lennon hit stride. Eric Clapton might as well be American for the way he sounds.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Wiggles:
Mark Knopfler is from Newcastle. It's in England!
He was born in Glasgow, Scotland, and moved with his family to Newcastle upon Tyne in the mid 1950s.
;\)
I think the Scots will claim him \:D

A minor detail lol.gif

He talks like a Geordie, supports the toon, and the toon run out to Local Hero. That's a lot of Geordie points.

Anyway, the Scots have got the Minds, Rod, and the Proclaimers!

"I said

La

La-la-la"

Jim Kerr, the world's greatest pub singer!

The image I had of US music when growing up was Heart, Toto stuff like that. That image kinda stuck until I became a big scouser, then I found real music. Having said that, most of my music is probably uk bands artists. I suppose lots of it is what you grow up listening to.

Man i cant believe i forgot my favourite band Led Zeppelin :-(

Its true that most british rock groups ripped off their stuff from US acts, but I think the US acts ripped that stuff off too from the deep south bluesmen. There isn't much difference between Mr Whitey in Kent from Mr Whitey in Chicago.

Oz music, of course there is AC/DC, Nick Cave (The Birthday Party), Midnight Oil, Radio Birdman, The Saints, to name a few. There are plenty of great 'newer' bands Regurgitater, Grinspoon, The Porkers, Madison Avenue lol.gif

But this is just a few I can remember at the moment!

The "deep south bluesmen" were also American. \:\)

The Oz band the Hoodoo Gurus put out a couple of good albums back in the 1980s.

I quite like Connackers theory. Huey Lewis alone is enough to wipe out Dylan, Hendrix and Miles Davis lol.gif

I've never really thought of where music comes from. If I like it, I like it, ya dig? Man, that UK scene in the 70's rocked though! The 60's (not that I was there) was such a mish-mash of stuff that was incredible. How bout throwing a little bit of punk into this debate \:\) Early on, UK all they way. AC/DC - grew up with that. Been listening to The Living End recently (not that it matches up, but good)

Music is just good. For God's sake, I even enjoy bopping my head to the Tragically Hip and Bare Naked Ladies every 9 months or so, eh? \:D