The fan heater that I bought 12 months ago - because my last one died on me - seems to have died as well. WTF? mad.gif These things only last 1 year or something? It won't stay on for more than 20 seconds before giving me that shitty E4 error message. It doesn't need cleaning or anything like that. It just seems to have given up.

Are they all like this? Anyone with a really good one that has lasted for more than miserable 1 year? (If so, what make is it?

If your fan heater is SUCKING, there is something wrong with it. They are supposed to BLOW.

We have Sharp and Mitsubishi fan heaters that are in their 5th year. We clean them every year, and run them at low temperatures.

I pinched one of mine from my first employer in Japan. It's about twenty years old but is still going strong.

We've got a new Sharp one that's a bit temperamental. It will work in one room but won't switch on at all in another. The best one we've got is a Panasonic one with an IR mode. You can turn it down really low and use it in radiator mode with the fan off, where it burns much cleaner than the ordinary non-fan toyu stoves.

I used to live in a well-built imported 2x4 house and it was so well insulated and airtight that you couldn't use toyu stoves. On the lowest setting in the coldest room that faced north, the old nicked one would hit thirty degrees in half an hour.

It's not the heaters that piss me off it's paying to fill the 1000ltr tanks I have. Anyway, I have a bunch of these things and stick mainly to Dainichi, Corona and Sunpot. The Corona make seems to be the most respected home use maker and their stuff is usually a little bit more expensive. There seems to be a lot of competetion with a bunch of minor makers or obscure brands for sale cheap but for a couple of thou it's probably worth paying the difference for the Corona make. Hope you can get your heater sorted and stay toasty.

6 years ago when the kid was born said goodbye, good riddance to the kero heater(s).

Sure they're the cheapest to run and can space-heat quickly, but breathing in kero fumes (noticeable or not) is not a pleasure for me.

Even the newer models remind me of Japan Tobacco's famous slogan

"Smokin' Clean"

Like Pig Shite.

Just can't be good for you breathing that in for 3-5 months a year.

Veronica- I use inefficient (energy use compared with cost)aircon danbo(s) but I put in a coupla ceiling fans which definitely improved the circulation and heat spread.

Also I hunted around and bought 2 halogen heaters (real ones) at half price sale and use them for spot/small room heating. I was very surprised at their ability to heat, thinking they probably would be not much up on small electric radiator types.

But in the long run until double glazing, ceiling/wall/floor insulation becomes the norm, heating will always be a problem here.

A friend moved into their new house last week and they had the sense to of course double glaze & insulate, but all main living areas are warmed by floor heating - yuka danbo! T-shirts stuff without all the blowing. Cost a penny but they calculated that long term savings (health & money)will be worth it.

Friends kero heating bills are about 50% less than mine, but it's a spit in the bigger picture.

It takes 100's of man(円)annually to run a household, so I accept 2-3 man extra as part of that. \:\)

If your heater is plugged into the mains using an shared extension, take the extension off and plug it straight into the wall socket.

I had the same problem, and doing the above seemed to solve it.

oo

I must admit I scoffed when I first read your mail. But I took a look and the heater was sharing a connection with another appliance (which is only rarely on).

So I rearranged things so that it was plugged directly into the wall socket, and you know it seems to be behaving now!! Got to go a few days without a problem before I close this one, but it does seem to be much better than before. I never thought that would make any difference.

Cheers!