http://www.blu-ray.com/

Seems like this will make all our current CD's and DVD's redundant? " title="" src="graemlins/cry.gif" />

Apparently they are on sale in Japan now - don't know if they can read both 'red' and 'blue' formats or just the one. confused.gif

Nothing will last as long as vinyl records or VHS, eh? (Consumerism gone nuts!) mad.gif mad.gif

I thought there were 2 competing, blu ray and hd-dvd. Some machines going to let us watch both - as well as normal current DVDs. Sony are doing the blu ray thing, and its going to be in the PS3, right?

No a HD DVD or a Blu DVD player will be able to play old DVDs and CDs no worries, When you buy a DVD you vill be able to buy a old school DVD or a new HD or Blu DVD, the latter will just look spectacular on a big plasma screen. You regular old telly wont be able to cope with it, it wont look all that flash.

I dont think there is a player though that will read both HD and blu which is creating the war.

Sony blu is bigger and better (25GB to 15GB and double the transfer rate at 36Mb/s )than HD which is going to be cheaper to produce the discs.

Both are a resolution 1920 x 1080 compared to 720 x 480 for current DVD.

Sony bought MGM and will sell all their old titles in blu format.

It remains to be seen if you will be able to buy a popular movie in both formats or whether the particular movie studio will side with one format.

There have been a lot of good articles in Time mag recently about it all

HD dvd is

Toshiba Electronics

NEC Electronics

Paramount Pictures

(Viacom) Entertainment -

Universal Studios (GE)

Warner Bros./New Line Cinema

And coming out to bat for blu is

Sony / Sony Pictures

Dell

Hitachi

Hewlett-Packard

Panasonic (Matsushita)

Pioneer

Philips

Samsung

Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Inc. (MGM)

The Walt Disney Co.

HD has Warners, Paramount and Universal but Blu has most of the big consumer electronics companies

• 2 weeks later...

Heck, watching my normal DVD's through a DLP projected image on the wall is just fine for me. I don't think I'll bother upgrading unless they completely scrap current DVD. I predict the next step will be to get rid of plastic storage altogether and people will just have stuff stored on HDD's (like TiVo only with 100's of GB of storage).

• 4 months later...