Depends on the era really.

Scot Schmit did things no other skier ever thought of and pushed sking to new levels in N.A.

Guys in Europe that youve never heard of accessing stuff that is crazy and do it without breaking a sweat.

Herman mier pure power skier and fast learner of new gear. if he didnt break his leg in half I think he would go down as one of the best ever.

seth morrison bringing freestlye into the big mountains like no one has ever seen before.

Candide thovex d-spin 7 over chads gap 4 or 5 years ago, pushed the limits of that age of skig.

Killy miura for doing things on crap equipment that was brave as.

Tomba maybe the greatest technical skier of all time. and biggest apres skier also.

So many people and that is just the start of the men and not even touching the women which have many greats as well

The list gets longer and longer.

Don't forget Marc Girardelli. Hermann Maier broke his leg. Girardelli almost tore his leg off. He is technically a criple with 1 leg only functioning for 40%, but still managed to win overall World Cups. If he didn't have that injury he might he rivalled Stenmarks WC wins. Still 5 Overall world Cups.

Or remember Jean-Claude Killy.

Like I said we are still only touching the surface. The guys in Yearbook are just starting where as other guys have been around a while but i think guys like Shane McConkey and the 1080 creaters should by up there. Also kreitler for pushing design along with Shane.

Dont forget about guys like shawn palmer who won the Boarder and skier cross at the X games.

Hmmmm, so many different branches of skiing.

Stenmark, Maier, some of the early pioneers of steep skiing, etc... Killy was good but competition then was not what it is nowadays. So many people would have had great careers be it not for injuries (Maier, Luc Alphand, etc...)

Quote:
Originally posted by Yamakashi:
what about those guys in YEARBOOK (I think thats the ski vid title) who are skiing/basejumping off cliffs!?! Thats sick eek.gif
I havn't seen the videos but I think that is probably Shane McConkey and JT Holmes

yup, its them alright. I think theyre amazing skiers with balls the size of Mt. Fuji; but probably wouldnt make the greatest all time list.

I really like Seth Morrison and Micah Black

You can tell Ive only been skiing for a few years eh?

I'm kind of the same way Yamakashi. I really only pay attention to the skiers that ski the terrain that interests me.

For extreme era skiers we can add

Doug Coombs

The late Trever Peterson

Eric Pehota

Scot Smidt

Mike Hattrup

Glen Plake

and others that I surely missed

These are the guys I grew up watching in videos and reading about in the magizines

props to all those guys they are great but the greatest skier in an open ended question. the equipment we ride now far and away blows the old gear out of the water. its not like an nba jumb shot that really always is a jump shot from 20 feet away.

Patrick Vallencant, opened many of the steep skiing routes in the alps.

Yeah Coombs is pretty good. He had an incredible line at La Grave skiing right through the glacier a few years back. his line was never done again after he did it.

My vote for an allround skier is Hermann Maier - I read somewhere is a hell skier anywhere - not just racing but in the powder and the steeps.

He could probably keep up with all but the most elite extreme skiers. I doubt they could keep up with him in a Super G.

No idea if he can do tricks though.

Plus he is the only Austrian skier to ever make it onto a postage stamp -( the entire issue of stamps sold out quickly - 2nd only to Arnold Schwarzenegger in fast selling stamps)

he is a freak - the Hermannator

Quote:
Originally posted by i'm really hungry:
How come so many Europeans rather than Americans/Canadians?
The truth is in numbers here. There are many more European skiers than North American skiers, especially when naming guys with a alpine racing background and technical steep skiing.

When you look at freeskiing that is much more american with Schmidt, Plake, McConkey, Morrison, Hall, the New Canadian Airforce guys, Black, Coombs, Swany and many more.

There aren't too many Europeans that come to mind. Thovex, Olsson, Michaud, Perret, Chicherit.

Chicherit is kind of ...... I dont think he really belongs he falls way too much. Also by his own account he has been lucky to survive many of them.

Sking started in europe, The terrain in N.A. really only started to open up 30 years ago. places like mount Stowe used to be the hotbeds of sking 40 years ago which doesnt compare to the alps.

Ive known guys who couldve been as good as many of these guys. doing the same stuff that these guys do just not catching a break.

Try finding the name Blair Debnan in old powder issues. I worked with him out in kawaba. A whitewater local and legend. Skied lines on straight skis hucking spins off cliffs 10 years ago. mad style mad skier, didnt catch a break. Whereever he is he is still 4 times better than I ever can hope to be.