I'm interested in how other people pay for meals at restaurants... hear me out >

I've got a real good friend who I've known for ages, just one thing that really gets me is how ketch he is when it comes to paying at restaurants. When its time to pay it almost always becomes awkward and you can almost see him squirming to either a) get out of it altogether or B) do his best to be exact in how much he pays. He has never bought anyone a drink as far as I know and is always fussing over details of money.

I'm kinda the opposite as I'll often get rounds in and also often treat friends to meals. And they'll often pay the next time.

He might sound like a bit of a jerk, but he really isn't.

So wondering how most other people split costs etc at restaurants with good friends.

\:\)

Is your friend from Nagoya? I hear Nagoya people are most ketchi in japan. I've got a Nagoya friend that doesn't flush his toilet every time in order to save on the water bill. eek.gif

I enjoy and often do treat my friends and family. In fact, my first weekend in Japan I made a critical error of not really understanding the value of the yen I was spending and somehow blew 10-man in a bar one night treating everyone. confused.gif

I was going to say the same thing kintaro ( about nagoya!)

I know a few Weasels like that too. Its maybe ok once or twice BUT everytime wears abit thin.

If you don't have enough cash, then don't go out.

My frieds and I usually split things.

Birthdays and stuff we'll treat, family too. I hate it when there's an atmoshere going on concerning money.

I often split things. I know what you mean yama3, I don't like people who are cho-kechi. Had a friend at college who was very strict with his money, he always seemed to be calculating how to get out of buying a round. He got quite the reputation for it.

Getting serious for a moment, and without the slightest mention of cheese (even though it is - apart fron being delicious - nutritious and fun for all the family), someone like that would seriously annoy me. He probably wouldn't be a friend in the first place.

My friends and I usually splitting bill between us but we don't talk about it in details and making fuss of the situation. None of us are rich, so we can't afford to treating all time!

• 11 months later...
 Quote:
Originally posted by Kintaro:
Is your friend from Nagoya? I hear Nagoya people are most ketchi in japan. I've got a Nagoya friend that doesn't flush his toilet every time in order to save on the water bill.
lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif

It's not smelly, his wife is very clean (but ketchi). #1='s every 3 flushes. #2 is every time (I hope). In my house it's after every use. I wouldn't have it any other way. I don't mind the extra 50 yen per month.

When I was a vegetarian student and used to go out with my carnivorous mates for a curry, there was always a big fight when it came to paying the bill.

People from the Indian subcontinent know the cost of eating meat, which is why vegetarian curry was always 1 quid as against 2 quid for the meat. (A serious difference when we were living on 5 quid a week.)

Each time it was a case of "**** off! I'm not subsidizing your cannibalism! No way is it splitsies! Work it out, and I'll pay for what I ate, and you pay for what you ate!!"

I think I may even have emphasized my point by giving the cannibal next to me a dead arm.