Question for gaijin who have had parents/family visit Japan

OK, here's the question. When your parents or other family members visit you in Japan do they feel strange about onsen procedure (especially getting naked with strangers).

My parents are coming for the first time and my inlaws asked if it would be odd to take them to an onsen.

Any other advice on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Domo!

My mum is a bold confident practical woman and not at all modest, she didnt even blink, my dad has been in enough locker rooms and communal showers, he wasnt fazed either.

They both enjoyed the onsens.

My sister who hasnt been in one would be anther story she is very modest, I think she would pass

So it really depends on their personality and past experiences. You know your parents best.

Both my folks enjoyed the onsen. My father tends to be unadventurous at the best of times but I think he looks forward to it now. Actually they will be back in a couple of weeks. Must be visiting season for parents ?

Yes early spring and autumn are the parents season.

Summer is way too hot and annoying.

Winter is too cold.

My parents have been a couple of times and I don't reckon they'll come again. They've "done Japan", other places to see.

My folks haven't been in an onsen yet on their visits, though next time they will probably jump in at the Ryoukan that we will stay at.

After all the nude beaches we were dragged to as kids, i don't think it will be an issue either!

My olds are also coming in May! must be visiting time...

Quote:
Originally posted by sakebomb:
My mother is OK, father is totally retarded when using chopsticks, but most restaurants have a knife and fork. He gave up trying. wakaranai.gif
ditto!

Also - both my parents are knackered from 40 years of sports - my mum has one of the most buggered knees ever, my father has had back ops and has stuffed knees too, neither of them were at all impressed with the traditional Tatami room restaurants where you gotta sit on the floor.

Dad loved beer vending machines, he visited the one nearby every night ;\)

My parents couldn't really cope with sitting on the floor at all. The baths were fun though, they enjoyed that.

They were shocked to hear of Japans 4 seasons, and thought it was a very unique concept.

Chopsticks - They were fine. (this might shock japanese readers but...)We were using chopsticks at home when we were really young ( travelled SE Asia alot)

Tatami - old man's knee is a dud too, so we went to places that have the tatami with the sunken bit where you can put your legs.

seasons - I haven't shocked the olds yet about the fact that Japan has 4 seasons. They may have a heart attack \:\)

Hum? Did everyone think Japan had just 1 season?

Chopsticks - I am not surprised because there are so many Chinese people everywhere all around the world so I thought Chinese foods were so widespreaded which means everyone must have had chances to use chopsticks.

Went to an onsen nearby called Mimizuku ( owl ) no yu today and took a couple of pic by my new keitai :-) lol need to play with it a lot to master it better.

mimizukuoutdoor01.jpg

Happo one is visible from this onsen.

mimizukuoutdoor02.jpg

Kintaro, I bet your parents would LOVE outdoor onsen. Take them to Naruko :-)

Quote:
Originally posted by gamera:
Hum? Did everyone think Japan had just 1 season?
Chopsticks - I am not surprised because there are so many Chinese people everywhere all around the world so I thought Chinese foods were so widespreaded which means everyone must have had chances to use chopsticks.
No we didn't but most Japanese people are suprised to find out that a heap of other countries do indeed have 4 seasons too! (Melbourne often has all 4 in one day \:\) )

People are often amazed at my incredible chopsticks skills and often can't believe that a gaijin could be that good! I just respond with "wow you use a knife and fork really well!" and I get some great reactions!

Gamera, not all people are as "worldly" as you thus the season and choppy referances!

My folks had a blast when they came here. They're used to chopsticks, the sitting on the floor was ok as long as it wasn't for too long and until they had to stand up again. My dad liked the huge amounts of beer people around him seemed to drink all the time (quite a few parties when they were here on their behalf).

They're still a bit shocked at the season thing, jealousy I think it is.

• 2 weeks later...

My parents are probably going to be coming over in the fall this year, probably in October. I'm just wondering how they'll take to it all. Perhaps I should mention the seasons thing in advance just so they're not too shocked by it all when they come.