What kind of signal does that send? If women are outside a segregated area they're fair game for the tiny minority of men that can't behave themselves? What about the minimal requirements of democratic citizens (including women and children) to stand up for themselves? They have plainclothes detectives in shops don't they, to inhibit and nick wrongdoers? Why not on trains? And why can't train companies offer to sue chikan on their own behalf for damages?

Segregation is not the answer.

^^

I don't know how much i agree with that. This isn't prison or anything, most men see at least 500-1000 different women in their day to day lives. Just because they are trapped on a train with a bunch of men for 1-2 hours a day, doesnt mean they are going to assualt the first women they see after stepping off into the station.

I think the idea is that the train gives these guys a perfect opportunity to harrass women who wouldnt otherwise have anywhere else to go. In the street, there are plenty of opportunities to walk away or in the worst case scenario, find help.

I can assure you that if you were a woman, you would be using those trains too. I know i would for sure.

> In the street, there are plenty of opportunities to walk away or in the worst case scenario, find help.

Well you know, I don't like the idea of being actively discriminated against and implicitly accused, simply because somebody is incapable of helping themselves or finding help on a train full of people.

> I can assure you that if you were a woman, you would be using those trains too.

Huh? How do YOU know that?

Yes, segregation isnt the best solution, but since women in this country dont seem to be able to stand up for themeselves and until the day where the majority of vicitims start to B#itch Slap Chikans, yell HELP, cause a rucus, kick them in the nuts, what do you suppose woman do to avoid being a victim?

Especially after a few searches when I found there are Chikan Clubs where they learn how to properly grope women, learn the daily routines before attacking, and work in groups of 5-10 men to block any visibility to their actions and any escape for the victim.

I think if women became more assertive then the ability for chikans to grope women would decrease. But, then were asking for a complete change in society which just isnt gonna happen in the near future.

How about introducing signs at the turnstiles saying "Purchase of a ticket constitutes an agreement not to harrass other passengers. Breach of this agreement will be subject to fines and prosection. Marshalls are on every train to ensure compliance." I think that might have an effect, especially if it were implemented properly. The cost of marshalls could be recouped through fines.

And as for online chikan clubs, how about the train companies hiring private investigation agencies to produce 'name and shame' websites?

But by all means, if you want to go the burkah route, keep expressing your approval for discrimination and segregation...

Yeah I kinda agree with you Ocean. Discrimination and segregation is not the answer. Its just a reactive solution and doesnt address the problem itself; just provides a temporary refuge. What they should do is enforce harsher penalties for criminals like that and start calling their actions by what they really are...sexual assault. Im sure prison sentences for this kinda behaviour will make some perverts think twice

Just want to bring a ladies voice to all this.

I would get on that train if only for the fact that lots of guys smell bad.

But it doesn't sound like a solution to anything to me.

Quote:
Chikan Clubs where they learn how to properly grope women, learn the daily routines before attacking, and work in groups of 5-10 men to block any visibility to their actions and any escape for the victim.
Now that is truly disturbing.

I was talking to a Japanese lady friend about chikan and male misbehaviour generally, and was very surprised about how unconcerned by it she seemed. She recounted her experiences of being groped without any sign of annoyance, let alone outrage. It just doesn't seem to bother some people.

I wonder if those expert gropers would know to pick her...

Riding in different cars solves nothing. Police action would go a long way in solving the problem have police on cars and catch them. stiffen the prison terms for the dumbbutts that touch a woman that they could never get.

I agree it's a half-baked response by the train companies, which is actually a way of avoiding the issue instead of dealing with it. Having said that, it does offer a kind of refuge for women from the sleazebags as a stopgap measure. Your idea is good Ocean, but the companies won't do it because they lack the will to enforce such regulations, and the back-up from the firm arm of the law is somewhat "limp", so to speak.

The fact that these carriages have been implemented just demonstrates how sadly normal, and tacitly tolerated this behaviour is in Japan. These molesters should be pursued relentlessly and prosecuted. It'd be nice to see more of them in court, with repeat offenders locked up.

A member of the Diet was arrested for drunkenly groping a woman's breasts on the street in Tokyo a few months ago. Quite unbelievable that someone could manage to become an MP and yet still be enough of a moron to get himself in that kind of a mess after some drinks. His excuse was that he thought she was a hostess who wanted him to do it!

Seems that it's viewed as relatively normal behaviour for many Japanese men. As long as those widespread attitudes exist and nothing's done to improve the culture, there'll be women only carriages. In a way, having them just reinforces the perception that molesting women is somewhat normal.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:
> In the street, there are plenty of opportunities to walk away or in the worst case scenario, find help.

Well you know, I don't like the idea of being actively discriminated against and implicitly accused, simply because somebody is incapable of helping themselves or finding help on a train full of people.

> I can assure you that if you were a woman, you would be using those trains too.

Huh? How do YOU know that?
I don't know that for sure.

But I think I can safely assume that you dont enjoy being groped by dirty old men, particularly after a long stressful day at work. I don't think it would be much different if you were a woman.

I understand that this 'chikan' thing is pretty accepted in Japan, that doesnt mean that as a woman you wouldn't take the precautions to avoid it.

> But I think I can safely assume that you dont enjoy being groped by dirty old men, particularly after a long stressful day at work. I don't think it would be much different if you were a woman.

In the days when I used to ride trains, I didn't much enjoy having my testicles cooked alive by the painfully hot underseat heating in winter after a long stressful day at work. So every day I asked them to turn it off, and complained a lot.

I guess there are people like me (and X), and then there are other people who supinely accept whatever is done to them, however bad it is. Blame 'society', why not?

Quote:
Harsh!! lol.gif

I've never seen one. Where are they operating anyone?
 Quote:
Originally posted by rach:

I've seen some pretty disgusting things on the trains - guys with their hands down their own pants, guys passed out flat on their backs on the floor in their own vomit, even a guy urinating agaist the inside of the train door. But some women don't behave much better. I did see one "polite" girl puke into her handbag rather than on the floor but it didn't disguise the smell & after a few mins started to seep out onto her lap.
I guess none of us smell too sweet after an all nighter...

Back on the topic though - I agree with Ocean 11, segregation is going to make the pervs think that women in the mixed carriages are up for it. Stricter controls & better publicity is the way to go. Rewards to those who help convict these guys?
 Quote:
I did see one "polite" girl puke into her handbag rather than on the floor but it didn't disguise the smell & after a few mins started to seep out onto her lap.
Gross! Luckily I've never seen anything like that - I think the worse I have seen is some drunks.