Quote:
Originally posted by ibk6020:
1281 2/5
how does usimg the word dude affect your avo awareness!?
Most likely people who use that word often tend to fit a certain risk profile. Something to do with maturity in the overall decision-making process. Just guessing though... Profiling based on language type.

good experiment tsodaboy. i was wondering about the dude question myself. they might as well change it and ask have you used the word BRO in the past ten days

i wouldn't worry about a 3 montoya. just an online quiz

FT's score was (drum roll)....................

Quote:
Originally posted by dizzy:
good experiment tsodaboy. i was wondering about the dude question myself. they might as well change it and ask have you used the word BRO in the past ten days
It seems that I have to revue my previous post, the “Dude” question is not the magic one. Either you answer yes or no you don’t get any extra points, if you answer cant remember then you get +4 points, which is not significant..
I was fooling around with this to get the highest score. I was able to reach 5295 points with the following answers. Most of them are predictable, but some of them are not.
There were 3-4 magic questions that gave you more than 400 points, but I am not going to say which. \:D

Do you recreate in places where a snow avalanche could bury you -- how frequently?
-More than 15 days a year.
Are you over 35?
-No
Are you under 18?
-No
Do you consider yourself an expert winter backcountry traveler?
-No
Do you wear a helmet while doing snowsports?
-No
What is your main backcountry winter recreation?
-Ski, snowshoe, snowboard.
Where do most of your winter backcountry recreation?
-Utah/Colorado/Montana/Wyoming or other mid-continent area.
What size group do you usually travel with, including yourself?
-Six to ten.
When you're traveling in avalanche terrain with a group, how do decisions such as goals and routes get made?
-I do my own thing and people can follow if they want.
Do you have formal (avalanche school etc.) avalanche safety training?
-What's an avalanche?
If four people ski down a possible avalanche slope, and you're the fourth, is your run much safer than the other's?
-Yes
Have you used the word "dude" in a conversation in the last 10 days?
-I can't remember.
During your last season of winter backcountry recreation, how many times did you skip something fun but risky (powder turns, highmarking, etc.) because your observations told you there was too much avalanche danger?
-Never, the more powder the better.
Do you talk with your partners and companions about goals before the trip, or just charge up the hill and hit what looks good?
-Every man for himself! (but I usually do what my extreme buddy does because he knows where the goods are.)
If you're an experienced and educated winter backcountry traveler, is recreating in familiar terrain safer than going to a new area?
-Quite a bit.
If you're a man, do you often travel in mixed gender groups?
-Frequently.
Do your companions do a fairly involved beacon search practice at least two times a winter?
-I'm a ski bum, you think I have enough money for a beacon?
How many times each season do you arrive at a trailhead, and decide to leave some of your avalanche safety gear in the car instead of taking it with you?
-I'm always sorting through the pile in the back of my truck and deciding what I don't want to carry.
What percentage of avalanche victims die from being hurt in the slide?
-Very few, almost all suffocate.
Is backcountry skiing or highmarking avalanche slopes as dangerous as other somewhat risky sports,like sky diving?
-It's actually pretty safe judging from the statistics.
Do most of the people you travel with in the backcountry have first aid training and carry first aid gear?
-No
Do you check the local avalanche forecast before your trips?
-No
What's the use of alpha angle?
-It's the angle of snow deposition at the lip of a cornice and tells you how easily it might break and cause a slide.
Do you always travel with an Avalung?
-What's an Avalung?
Do most of your backcountry partners have a fairly high level of avalanche safety knowledge, as good or better than yours?
-Not a chance, I can't find any good partners in this town.
When your group travels up or down an avalanche slope, do they always go one at a time?
-We gang ski when things are solid. It's more fun that way and makes better photos.
Do you always carry an avalanche beacon in avalanche terrain, and is it always turned on in avalanche terrain?
-I don't usually travel with a beacon.
Do most avalanches that kill people happen on slopes steeper than 40 degrees?
-Yes
Is a snowpit you dig and study a good way to be certain about the safety of a slope you plan on climbing or descending?
-Yes

In a way, using the destructive approach to the poll, I was able to learn some of the most common misconceptions about BC safety. It also illustrates the necessity of a BC training course. I am definitely going to take it this year.

PS: Yes, I am fooling around today at work! :p