Just finished 2 weeks in Japan. A bit of business, visiting friends and the highlight was some time in Nozawa and Shiga Kogen areas of Nagano. I loved it. I know the snow isn't what it should be at this time of the year, but I really enjoyed my time at Nozawa. The snow up top was good, and the relative lack of snow at the bottom didn't matter as the best courses are up there anyway.

I really want to go back.

\:\) \:\)

johnson_40.JPG

Like the place as well.

The worst time I have had there is being caught on the top of that huge mogul run on the left hand side near the bottom. That was difficult, I didn't enjoy that.

We stayed in Noz a couple of years ago, and when we were in Hakuba last week, we drove up there to say G'day to our old hosts and show off our baby son (who wasn't even a twinkle in my eye then). We loved it there, the town is so unadulterated by some of the Westernisation of other resorts I could mention, and the terrain is as good as anywhere I have skied in Japan, and better than most. Not the nightlife you get in other places, but with a baby, that's not such a big issue for us...

No kids but got to admit I'm not interested in wild bars and gaijin hangouts even when I'm in Tokyo. Would much rather fine a good local izakaya. Nozawa is a great little place, love it... wish I could go more.

keba - how could you show off your baby son if he wasn't a 'twinkle in your eye then'? Is your wife not telling you something? Excuse me but that's a bit confusing...

I do wish I could go more to Nozawa, too, though. That said, it had the worst snow of all the places I went to last year, more a matter of bad timing than anything else.

What's the betting we'll be seeing Nozawa ruined by gaijin as next year's pet TV report, though?

We were in Noz 2 years ago... we weren't even married then, let alone contemplating children eek.gif

I can't see a Gaijin takeover of Noz. It's too crammed for further development, and not a big enough ski area... Shiga Kogen, maybe.

When I was in Nozawa, it was packed with drunken Aussies who were running around going "Oi! Kowai" (sic) to all the female shop clerks and bartenders. That was enough to make up my mind not to go to Niseko...

• 3 weeks later...

Nozawa is one of my favorite resort for onsen as well skiing. When I was young we lived in Yokohama and my parents took me there and Kusatsu every year. They remain special place for me.