>Like the other reports, they don't seem interested in the Asians coming at all.

It would be interesting to see factual data from resort/region and the percentage of nationalities that are going there. 'course it'd be hard to get info when you drive, take a train/bus...

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that the most people coming are asains but they mix in and are harder to find.

The Auzzies do tend to spend more time here though. My asain martket guests usally stay less than 5 days vs my Auzzies guest stay at least 7 days.

Whichever that was a lucky get TJ I wonder how they found you?

Quote:
Originally posted by Bushpig:
that report said about 50% to Hakuba were Koreans. That was the only passing comment they got.
I'm just wondering how they tally their statistics. Not implying that they are inaccurate, just wondering how accurate they are. For example, when I bring a whole bus-load of people in from HK, nobody asked us where we are from. So were we included or not? Could they have thought we were Korean?
In HK, the HK Tourist Association polls visitors at the HK airport and uses that for some of our tourist statistics.

I must have seen about six or seven features on the news this season and not a single one has talked an Asian person. They just say "most of the people coming are Asian" and then swiftly move on to Westerners. SJ1 said the news crew who talked to him were only interested in Australians. If it were one report doing this, you could just ignore it, but when every channel does it, you can only conclude that they like some foreigners much more than others.

• SnowJapan Admin

Yes in that interview they asked specifically about Australians. And in other interviews I have done this season (done about 8 with different Japanese media), it has always been about the Westerners market. They usually take the position of 'following on from Niseko....'.

Even way back when I was at Naspa and there were a lot of guests coming from Taiwan / Korea / Hong Kong, when I did interviews with the press they seemed to ignore that market and ask about the Westerners.

I don't know what activities Hakuba in general (village & tourist association etc) are doing with regards to marketing to the Asian markets, but I do know that this season they put a fair effort into the Australian market. I should be over there in a few weeks and I'll ask them about this and see what they say.

I believe the media interest is more about the purchasing of property as opposed to who is coming from where for a holiday. Although there has been a lot of interest from people I meet from all nationalities in regards to the property market here I think that the Australian/Niseko connection is seen as an indicator of what may happen in Hakuba.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Wiggles:
I would imagine the tourist association know what the score is. I think this is more a media problem.
How? They arrive by all means of transportation and there is no record of that. I'd guess to venture that TJOZ and Fattwins dont have to report who their clients are and where they come from so it'd be difficult to grasp. Maybe at Immigrations when they arrive they might put skiing/snowboarding as an option?? I dont think the tourist groups have a clue unless foreigners are using THOSE agencies...just my 2 yen worth. I would like to know the figures though.

Presumably the local tourist agency talks to the people running agencies that bring foreigners in, the hotels, and maybe to the ski fields and gets the info from them. A fair number of independent travellers are always going to be under the radar but without hardcore domestic surveillance, that can't be helped.

I've not heard real estate mentioned except in reports exclusively about Niseko, but it's one aspect I suppose.

nah, when you buy a lift pass, people don't ask you where you're from. When you buy your lunch, people don't ask you where you're from either. But when you check into your hotel, you are required to let them photo copy your passport. So there you go, a ready source of information on foreigners.

And at a resort's hotel association, they probably tally their totals at the monthly bingo dance.

Stories about Niseko generally mention how property prices have gone up there more than Tokyo. If the Japanese reporters implied something about TJ or Fatty buying a place being a signal of a wider real estate boom to come, I completely missed it.

I've already bought, so I'll be as happy as anyone if prices go up. Bring on the bubble! The only way is up, baby! \:D

Well, from my experience, some hotels do ask for your passport but it depends on the establishment. When I stayed at the super deluxe "Fatty's Lodge" which is famous for their good service, I didn't have to show anything except my face. There were no check-in queues etc. I was shown straight to my room.

>Presumably the local tourist agency talks to the people running agencies that bring foreigners in, the hotels, and maybe to the ski fields and gets the info from them

I can only give my experience from working up in Niseko - so dont take it as reliable...and Im sure others, who are working or living up there now, could shed some more light - but I know where I worked wasnt at the time, according to my GM and the company president's wife, giving out info on foreign guest or reporting anything to headquarters bout it either cuz I asked...They seemed the least bit interested cuz it was more mendoukusai for them to have all these foreign guests running around. They really shoulda hired J-staff who had a good command of English.

Look forward to your info SJ#1 - wonder what changed.

We just had another crew in. The TBS evening 5 guys just spent an hour filming here and interviewing myself and some guests. It should be aired on Monday between 5 and 6:30 pm. Once again talking about Australians in Hakuba.