Just got my membership approved so thought I would come on and say hi ;\)

I am coming out to Japan 1st week in March on a 6 - 9 month contract on my own and would like to get some boarding in while I am there....

I bought a season Pass for the 3 valleys in France at the start of the season (did a season in Meribel 04/05 and its been a regular winter haunt for 4 years now) and now I am not going to be able to make full use of it !!

I am going to be Based in Mishima and working nearby, so interested to know what resorts are recommended that are close enough for easy travel to at weekends via Public transport ?

I have been boarding for 8 years, and "advanced intermediate" level, prefer Off piste/back country to groomers and although I do venture in there from time to time, the Park still is not my natural habitat !!

So do I bring all my Kit out with me ? or am I better just bringing Boots/clothing etc and Renting board and bindings ?

Any advice gratefully recieved, as the whole Japanese experience is going to be new to me not just the Resorts eek.gif

Be good to hook up with some people already out there if possible as well

Cheers

Dom

Hey Dom welcome.

I was excited when you said Mishima, cause there's a Mishima up in Aizu (Fukushima Pref) near me. Its not just south of Fuji, though. I'm sure there are tons of Mishimas, though. What Prefecture?

Good gear tends to be on the expensive side here, so I'd bring what you've got and leave it behind when you leave, depending on how nice it is. Also depends on how much you plan to get on the slopes.

Had some mates in Shizuoka who found it to be a fair task to get up here. Not difficult, just a bit tedious. You might find that buses are your best bet, as although you can catch trains, there is no direct/fast one... despite specifying that you wanted public transport you should go pick up an international licence, so you can at least rent a car occasionally, if you get chance to split costs...

all this of course assuming you do want to come to Nagano.

Hiya cr500dom

Shizuoka and Nagano are actually next prefecture but accessing is not good in many cases especially if it's northern Nagano where many ski slopes are located.

Maybe you'd better go to

#1---Tokyo to catch an Asama shinkansen to Nagano then bus to Shiga kogen / Nozawa /Hakuba area

#2--- Shinkansen from Tokyo to Echigo Yuzawa to reach Gala Yuzawa, Naeba, Kandatsu etc

#3--- Nagoya to catch a Shinano limited express train for Matsumoto or Nagano to reach Norikura/Hakuba/Nozawa/Shiga-kogen area

But if you are located in Mishima, I think Tokyo is closer than Nagoya?

Quote:
I'm sure there are tons of Mishimas, though. What Prefecture?
If there's a Mishima in Niigata, it might be Echigo-Mishima

If it's in Nagano, could be Shinano-Mishima

If it's in Hiroshima, maybe Bingo-Mishima

\:D

No, not a joke.

Bingo 備後 is an old name for Hiroshima region.

Bungo 豊後 is the one for Ooita.

Confusing?

:p

There's a lot of place names that have some old region name at the top (usually )

e.g.

Toshima-Oono 渡島大野 in Hokkaido. 

Tsugaru-Imabetsu 津軽今別 in Aomori

Ugo-Honjo 羽後本庄 in Akita

Rikuchu-Takada 陸中高田 in Iwate

Rikuzen-Sanno 陸前山王 in Miyagi

Shinano-Moriue 信濃森上 in Hakuba \:D

Echizen-Oono 越前大野 in Fukui

Owari-Ichinomiya 尾張一ノ宮 in Aichi

Hida-Furukawa 飛騨古川 in Gifu

Kawachi-Nagano 河内長野 in Osaka

Bicchu-Takahashi 備中高梁 in Okayama

Bingo-Shohara 備後庄原 in Hiroshima

Houki-Daisen 伯耆大山 in Tottori

Tosa-Yamada 土佐山田 in Kochi

Bungo-Mori 豊後森 in Ooita

Hizen-Yamaguchi 肥前山口 in Saga

Satsuma-Kawajiri 薩摩川尻 in Kagoshima

Quiz

How is this below pronounced?

半家

:p

Quote:
Originally posted by Bushpig:
"Bingo Undo Koen"
Please pronounce that UNDO as in 運動, not アンドゥー
\:D

Quote:
banga?
Nope!

Quote:
半家 = hanke
Nope!
:rolleyes:

Quote:
BTW, 備後庄原 is Bingo Shobara Gam \:\)
Arigato Bushpick :p

If it's in Kochi Ken. Probably we refer the same place but what I heard in the train was not hanke. Maybe town name and station nane are different there and you know the town name while I know the station name, I guess?

confused.gif