OK folks, next time you go skiing or snowboarding (at a resort that doesn't do the electic lift ticket checking machine system thingy), make a note of whether the lifties actually check your lift ticket. I'm curious to hear whether they do much or not after my own experience and that of friends.

Yep the resorts around here generally don't seem to check much at all.

I went to Kandatsu last year and was noticing this - no-one checked my ticket even once. I remember Iwappara not checking as well.

That explains why I was thrown out of the lift queue a few times. Once I was bowled out and once I was given a lbw by the liftie. I was a bit pissed at the first one, but the second one was kimochi.

fwiw, a wicket is the metal triangle ring that traditional sticky tickets glued themselves too. Many people pride themselves in never cutting them off and seeing how many wicketed tickets they can stack on their zippers.

wicket your ticket on your front zipper so it can whip your face like skiing through a thicket.

They don't check on every lift but going up on the ropeways at Mitsumata they always seem to check. I can't think of anywhere offhand in Niigata that has electronice. A fair few in Nagano.