After 3 really nice powder days, riding the areas of happo which were closed and hiking back out, and then a few more days searching for pow along the edges, testing out the big skis and the park skis..... it turned to moguls and stones. I still wanted to do something, so with a full moon out, a sky full of stars, and a bluebird day lined up for today's weather, yesterday i decided to go winter camping at a nice spot near Iwatake. We perched ourselves next to a beautiful bronze statue my friend's Grandfather made, looking out over the valley, the ski hills and the big peaks. We heated up some red wine over the stove and enjoyed the mountians by night. There are more photos to come (my friend has a much better camera than i do) including some excellent night shots. My camera died in the cold and then woke back up again in the morning, so i snapped a few shots. We walked back down and took a dip in Kurashita onsen at 9am this morning, before heading back to my house. A night well spent under a full moon in the snow!

My tent, looking over to Happo-one...

eskimobasecamp_192.jpg

Looking out over the Hakuba valley...

eskimobasecamp_191.jpg

The bronze statue...

eskimobasecamp_193.jpg

eskimobasecamp_194.jpg

thanks guys! we had fun, good way to use time/gear/outdoors when it's all moguls on the hill.

here's my keitai pictures...

a moon shot...

eskimobasecamp_199.jpg

me outside the tent this morning...

eskimobasecamp_201.jpg

eskimobasecamp_200.jpg

liza outside kurashita noyu this morning, keen to get in before it opened...

eskimobasecamp_202.jpg

me outside kurashita noyu this morning...

eskimobasecamp_203.jpg

ha ha you know i like to pack lite toque ;\) didn't i bring a pillow last time?

i used my down vest and jacket as pillows. the thermarest was great. 3 season tent all good in calm conditions. must have been a chilly night, wasn't overly comfortable even in my -18C down bag.

the location is sort of half way up iwatake, but not accessed via the actual ski hill, it's quite hard to find. iwatake is further out into the valley away from the big peaks, than happo... not closer.

Quote:
Originally posted by eskimobasecamp:
My camera died in the cold and then woke back up again in the morning, so i snapped a few shots.
great pics EBC, to solve that camera trouble get some of those ubiquitous heat hand warmer heat pads and put one in your camera bag, i tried it for the first time and it worked a treat, they last 24 hours! and they are tiny and take up virtually no space.
I put one in my chest pocket to help my aging Keitai too

Nice pics. I've got a dodgy panorama taken from there in the summer that I'll have to dig out.

You should ask your mate why that statue isn't on any tourist map I've seen, isn't signposted, and has a chain strung across the entrance!

I don't know if they close the road up there in winter but there's a couple of very steep tight bends on it. It could be a bit hairy.

EBC and Liza, sharing probably kept you warmer.

Down in the valley, my -18C bag was fine, however, a Prolite 4 and RidgeRest weren't enough.

I am consider an Exped Downmat 9, which has an R-value of 8!!!

Does your bag become damp from water vapor from your body (not breath) condensing at low temperatures?

I tried a WM VBL, which felt too clamy around my feet.

I prefer a deep cover of clean snow instead of thin snow and patches of dirt, which seemed to feel colder.

Inside the tent, spikes of frost grew overnight from my damp gloves.

scouser - not quite totally sure about the meaning of the statue, but he's pointing up to the sky, it's very beautiful at night.

mr w - yeeeeees i know, there is indeed a big chain across the access point into there, and it's a well hidden spot, i always get lost trying to find it, not so many people know about it, maybe just locals. the road up there is not closed, but yikes it's hairy, covered in ice and snow, and tight hairpin bends. we didn't go up there and set up camp until about 11pm or so, because we cooked a big dinner at my place before.... AK drove us up the access road, but not the hairy part, we walked that. i'll ask my friend more about the statue next time i see him, he's guiding in argentina just now i think.

wanna find some more great winter camping spots around hakuba, that was a lot of fun and very beautiful. good to look down on hakuba and not be around the oshogatsu crowds thumbsup.gif

Nice pics EBC, glad to hear you and Liza had fun cool.gif

>>AK drove us up the access road, but not the hairy part, we walked that.

Facking AK has a tendency to drive up sketchy shite dont 'e? FREAK!!! Yo 'as$ shouldnt ever be behind the wheel! eek.gif :p

Kuroshita no Yu sucks - its the ultimate sausage fest. Never go there again.

I dont like kuroshita really the showers have zero water presure.

Nice picks I was up at 5:30 trying to get my fires going and the view was crystal and perfect. then a few hours later the front moved in.

A very lucky picture chance really due to so many factors.

1 full moon

2 so clear

3 snow and frost

4 timing really you only get so many full moons with snow.

Ah

I know the area then. Near the onsen with the shitty water pressure. I hate that place. Nothing like cooking your body in the same water as a bunch of old men or little kids and then not even being able to clean off after

Yari still looks a ways off in that picture. Maybe just because it's a tiny shot

Quote:
Originally posted by Fattwins:
A very lucky picture chance
Said through gritted teeth?!

Here's that panorama. Its from August 2004. Its made up of 8 photos in total. Maybe 180 degrees or so. I won't embed it coz it'll mess up the format of the thread.

http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/9548/panorama1600au3.jpg
 Quote:
Originally posted by Fattwins:

A very lucky picture chance really due to so many factors.
1 full moon
2 so clear
3 snow and frost
4 timing really you only get so many full moons with snow.
that's why i went, because i KNEW it would be those weather conditions, the timing was on purpose - i wouldn't have gone to do that on any other day thumbsup.gif

i don't like kurashita either, brown water that kinda makes your skin itch, but a nice view and just at the bottom of our walk back down from the hill.