I had them both.

uphill I prefer Fritschi

downhill I prefer Naxo

So depending on how you really what to use your skis I would get the Fritschi or Naxo. (I sold my Naxo setup but that was because of other reasons)

The Naxo design flaws are gone so don't worry about that when buying a new Naxo binding.

Yeah the NX21's look pretty solid on the web. The "normal" toe piece looks better then the Fritschi's (bit worried about what release is like on Fritschis downhill?!), but they do put you higher up off your skis than the Fritschi. Both look pretty good, probably will just decide to buy one or the other, maybe even just on price!

the fritschis are light. I have them on my gotamas that have been my pow ski for a few seasons. With very occasional releases. In pow, they're sweet. But I really dislike them on groomers or charging at resorts. They are not very stable with the floating heel. The binding seems to wobble inside itself. It's not worn out or anything, just the design of the heel being made for easy touring really takes its toll on performance. (but in pow, who cares. it's all about floating anyway.)

If this is primarily a bc/pow ski, go for lightness. But if you will be skiing these at resorts as well, you may long for the stiffer/heavier naxo.

• 4 weeks later...

I ended up getting the 06/07 Volkl Gotamas with Naxo NX21s. The bindings have been bomber for the last 5 days in the resorts. Admittedly you are a bit up off the ski and with a fat powder ski the groomers (as not much pow in Hakuba lately) have been a bit testing. The bindings seem ery stiff, not any noteable flex in my opinion. Did ski a bit of BC powder/trees today and the skis/bindings went sweet. Don't have any skins trimmed at the moment so can't comment on climbing as yet. Skis do feel heavy on the chairs, but this is a combo of fat skis and the bindings. Can't complain so far...........

• 4 weeks later...

I heard last week Naxo has 75% of the tourbinding market in Austria. So I guess they overcame the earlier designflaws and are making a solid product now.

but you should look at the new Marker coming season, espacially integrated with the Blizzard Kreitler Pro Model or the Blizzard Big Akira model.

You serious

Looks like a piece of trash to me

First off you have to step out to change from downhill to tour

Second the heal riser can't be raised with a pole

Third the weight

Fourth did I mention that heal riser?

markerDuke2.jpg

I'd give it a couple years to work out the bugs

FR for me

Actually **** that

Dynafit is the way

It's not Markers first try with an AT binding

marker-tr-total-450.jpg

I agree with your points about the duke's design flaws. However, I have a pair of fritches, don't need another one. And if I buy any binding, it might as well have a touring option.

There aren't many reasons to go with a traditional alpine binding on any of my skis in the future. And apparently, the duke feels just as solid as any high-din binding (it goes to 16 btw)

In my days of tents and ropes, it would have been over-kill, but nowadays it's ideal. It was designed for resort/sidecountry/slackcountry skiers. Not long-distance tourers.

I haven't held it in my hand yet, but just the fact that it's metal and has a din up to 16 tells me it's a lot beefier than any other touring binding.

I'll save my fritches for their purpose. This one fills a gap I have been waiting to fill.

what about this year's fritschi freeride plus? http://www.backcountry.com/store/BLD0926/c/s/Fritschi-Diamir-Freeride-Plus-Binding.html?id=vJoIDrQ9 they've got a bit more gnar - din goes up to 12... is that not enough though? thumbsup.gif

or if you want really burly bindings for the ride down, use trekkers? though trekkers aren't very fun at all.

those marker things look shit. and the flaws that toque pointed out make them sound like a TOTAL waste of time and money.

love my fritschi freerides, but i'm lighter/smaller and don't tend to click out of them - when i did, i cranked up the din and haven't come out ever since. haven't bought skins for them yet, had them on my back hiking happo bc on monday (super super suuuuper light), but have made use of their real function for hiking out of kita one etc. for me my set up is perfect, but for heavier, burlier dudes, i'm sure it must be tougher choosing bindings. still wouldn't buy those marker things though.

I have freerides, they're set on one-turn-off-max. (around 11.5)They have pre-released a couple of times when I hit things in the snow, but it would have been me tumbling if it didn't pop off. I like them (for their use.)

They suck on groomers. Period. They're wobbly. They float all over the place inside themselves. They're great in pow or the BC, but not a good resort/sidecountry binding. The Duke is in a niche of its own here and I look forward to touching it first-hand.

The metal 514s on my Jet Fuels are bomber. I won't have any problem buying a marker after riding it. I find it interesting that people are so anti Marker when Volkl, K2, Nordica, Blizzard are all working with them in their system-skis.

oh, and trekkers suck, went down that road for a month. holy unstable climbing batman.

I welcome the duke to fill this niche like I welcomed turned-up tails on my fat skis... And as Toque mentioned; it's not their first attempt. By the looks of that photo, they were thinking outside the box 30 years ago.

Markers fall apart and the metal they use to lock their brakes in is crap.

Marker full spectrum was great 10 years ago but since then they havent changed a thing.

Freerides are great for light skiers though and not as good for super heavy skiers on piste.

We can all agree that trekkers are the poop.

well... trekkers tried to fill a niche, and perhaps they did for those kids with only one setup who are trying to do all they can to get out there. (that was me 12 years ago.)

But I just wanted to make the point that the new Markers aren't even in the same category as fritches or naxos. They are the first (or second) attempt at a hybrid alpine/touring binding.

Salomon 17 din steel for alpine dominance.

Fritche 12 din for touring/BC dominance.

Marker duke... hmmm... never heard of a steel 16 din binding with a touring mode. wow. Probably not any heavier than a system binding either.