Hi guys.

First time post from a long time lurker (and big fan of the site).

I'm in Japan over New Year and I'm thinking of heading up to Hakuba/Shiga Kogen for a couple of days from Shizuoka.

'Er indoors reckons the shinkansen into and out of Tokyo could be pretty packed on Jan 2nd.

Anyone got any experience of this?

(I've searched the forums but can't find anything on this subject)

Cheers.

As JR East says;

Caution:

Please note that during crowded periods you cannot be guaranteed a seat on a specific train.

The periods when seat reservations are particularly difficult to secure are as follows:

December 28 to January 6

The New Year holiday period is the most popular travel time for Japanese people, for vacations and returns to hometown areas.

On the commuter trains, but not for shinkansen? Mrs T always laughs at London commuters complaining about overcrowding. She says if she can get a foot on the train then she can get on. Which is fine if you're a wee Japanese lady, but us western lardarses....mmmmm.

Try booking the shink and see - you may still be OK. If the worst comes to the worst, you will stand for 90 minutes between Tokyo and Nagano. The alternative's to take the Azusa direct to Hakuba from Shinjuku. Not as fast (takes 4 hours) but it does mean that there's no need to hang around for a bus at Nagano.

If you are going to Shiga, Nagano is basically the route.

Don't even THINK about driving

Captain, 2 seasons ago I left Tokyo on the shink on the morning of Jan 2nd. Went on the first train of the day. It was busy - but I got a seat. Best to get on at Tokyo rather than Ueno for the best chance of a seat.

Thanks for the advice.

It's put me in a dilemma on whether to get a J-rail pass or not.

If I do, I could get the shink and decide where to go nearer the day.

And it's free to reserve a seat with the pass.

I won't have much gear - only my big boots.

Or I could get a coach tour that I've used before. The pick-up's not too far from the in-laws' house - it's just a pain sleeping on the coach.

And it will probably be lot cheaper.

I only get to come out to Japan about once a year and in between eating lots of nice food and visiting family it doesn't leave much time for boarding.

Anyway - let's just hope it snows!

I have recently used the jr east 4 day flexible pass; you get four days travel which you can use at any time (You don't have to use the 4 days consecutively) Once you start using the pass on that day you have unlimited travel for that day. For me in the past my main trips were 3 weeks apart and a three week JR pass was too much, the 4 day pass was great. Flexible 4 day pass: 20,000 yen jr east prices

Only downside is if you're travelling with Jap national they can't buy one, even if they reside in UK (unlike JR pass). (Obviously I don't know where your inlaws are so East pass may be no good, but if you're in Tokyo it might be worth considering.)

I got mine from Gendai: Gendai in the past and if you don't use it you can get a percentage of your money back upon your return.

Maybe its time to introduce your Jap side of the family to the beauties of skiing/boarding ;\) Hope you manage to get some boarding.

And by Chroist I hope it starts snowing soon.