Hey guys,

I'm going to Happo-one to work in a month or so. I was just wondering if anyone's worked there before, or knows anyone who has, who knows what the living conditions are like (dorms, etc)... or any other little things I'd want/need to know. Working on lifts, don't really know what I'm letting myself in for there but should be good huh.

Totally looking forward to it... and to try boarding! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally posted by kateyk:

Working on lifts, don't really know what I'm letting myself in for there but should be good huh.
Totally looking forward to it... and to try boarding! Thanks!
You will be the first westerner I have seen working the lifts in Japan. Great place to start boarding. Don't forget your straw broom.

yo TJ - gym tonight? apparently there were some aussies working up at cortina/norikura last year, i never saw them tho.

katey - i think happo have dorms right at the bottom of the slopes, score! and if you like japanese boys, well there will be plenty of them too haha. are you working the lifts? you are in for a fun season! welcome to hakuba!

Yeah, days off sound like the go (so do the Japanese boys :p )

Oh yeah, this'll probably be a silly question, but does anyone know if you can get wireless internet anywhere at the resort or at nearby resorts? (We also get ski passes to Tsugaike and Iwatake)

You don't get many days off as a lifty at some places, so watch out. Some warm gloves and thermals mightn't be a bad idea for standing around in the cold. I'd imagine sun block is cheaper at your end than in Japan. When it shines, the sun can be very bright in Hakuba.

Fingers crossed that the Happo pass will be for the entire hill. My missus used to work at one of the biggest hotels and she only got a pass for 1/3 of them. The lifts are operated by two different companies now though, not three. The same thing happens at 47, where some worker passes and pension passes don't get Goryu.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Wiggles:
My missus used to work at one of the biggest hotels and she only got a pass for 1/3 of them.
How can that be? I thought a famous news announcer like her only needs to show her face to get on any lift without a pass!

I worked a season as a liftie in Colorado and agree in part with the other guys. I enjoyed the job, helping people have fun is cool and you get to board to and from work and maybe slip in a few runs at lunch and maybe other times ;\)

Ask to work as few shifts as they will let you and you can afford. On your days off get up early and wear your work coat to the mountain and bump up the hill with the other lifties on thier way to work and get lots of first tracks well before the punters get on the hill. Also the lift huts are good places to stash things during the day - food etc.

If you are working lifts, teach the other lifties how to hold em so they don't slam into the backs of skiers'/boarders' knees.

Hope you enjoy Japan. And Hakuba. And bring lots of warm stuff to wear INSIDE your house.

I always feel sorry for those guys having to brush the seat for everyone and standing in the damn cold watching people going up to have a great time.

TB, you should get boots that are higher than the chair seat or time it just right so your bum hits the seat before it hits your calves.

If you have trouble getting on a chairlift you should really be participating in some other sport like lawn bowls....

It's really not hard to look back, see when the chair is coming and then timing it so your ass lands on it.

In Niseko Hanazono last year there was a really cute Japanese girl lifty at the bottom of the Hanazono 1 lift. I felt so sorry for her when it was cold and windy - she had a big oversized furry jacket but i just wanted to give her a big hug to warm her up \:\)

Quote:
does anyone know if you can get wireless internet anywhere at the resort or at nearby resorts?
I got wireless net while sitting outside the ticket office at the base of 47 last year. Not sure if was intentional or not, and I discovered it by pure fluke but I used it to check my e-mails a couple of times on my iPAQ. I would chuckle if I saw a row of people tapping away at laptops in full ski/snowboard gear this year.