Well gents and chicks, as I mentioned in another thread my place of employment starts monitoring external website usage and limiting it severely on a weekly basis as of Monday. This is a contractual agreement signed by each employee and once signed The Man will no doubt turn a blind eye until such time he decides to use cumulative breaches against you in an attempt to sack, should it suit their bigger strategy. Irrespective of seniority, they are quite serious (the joke is, I am actually quite senior, don't let my posts confuse you). The upshot is that I wont be an SJ player from work anymore, there is way too much downside for me. And that only leaves a few spare hours each evening that I already use for other importnat things so I doubt I will be able to sustain even a fraction of my current rate of 2000 words of free entertainment and contributions each day. To use my limited free time like that would be crazy, especially when ultimately it brings no benefit to #3 (that's me, my girlf and dog are numbers 1 and 2)

It comes at a good time since I want to concentrate on putting equivalent volumes of text into my own little website and using spare time for other concerns. Also - please don't be offended - whilst this forum is great for a giggle and some expressive exercise, it doesn't really have much snow activity discussion and particularly not on the type of mountain-habits I'm addicted to. I'm just not getting what I need, and internet forums are after all a substitute for doing, to fill in the gaps by talking about things you like being. I get a bit frustrated scratching around for some fix that isn't there and since my daily internet access time has just been cut by 85% I need to use the remainder wisely. I mean, even EBC didn't even post a photo of her ragdoll accident in NZ. I need stronger methadone than that.

So I have no choice but to fade. Its going to be a culture shock being in front of a computer for 16+ hours per day and having thereof only 2 or 3 hours for carefree internet access.

Lets see how I go with only a few small posts per week, one of which will doubtless be dedicated to delivering the ministry of eternal truth: Niseko is flat hill (and crowded with Aussies and tracked-out and over represented in a country full perfect snow and way better terrain) \:\)

!! Viva la steep. Deep is for sheep !!

(ps - I'm making this overly self-important post because I need to force myself to live up to it)

(pps - I also want to get the SJ.com Japanese snow density project up and running with Souby, aka, Sediment. More on that later)

I'm not going away, I simply have no choice but to stop using the internet for 12-14 hours per day. I don't have any say in it. And that means waaaaay less SJ posts, an unavoidable fact.

This draconian overly restrictive Workers Council ruling will be challenged for sure. But I'm not pissing against the wind until it is. From Monday onwards I have 20 minutes of internet allowance at work per week. And forums are expressly banned and monitored with an activity log of individual activity being produced each month.

For a guy like me, it will be quite shocking. Imagine having no distraction from your work, hour after hour.

Good luck with that you must not be looking forward to Monday.

I have a solution:

Take a small mobile machine/pc of some kind and connect to the web using some wireless connection that will probably be available from nearby.

Quote:
Originally posted by db le pu:
From Monday onwards I have 20 minutes of internet allowance at work per week.
That's not much at all
What has sparked this?

Spud if it makes you feel any better there is 15cm of fresh snow outside my door right now
 Quote:
Originally posted by db le pu:
Well gents and chicks, as I mentioned in another thread my place of employment starts monitoring external website usage and limiting it severely on a weekly basis as of Monday. This is a contractual agreement signed by each employee and once signed The Man will no doubt turn a blind eye until such time he decides to use cumulative breaches against you in an attempt to sack, should it suit their bigger strategy. Irrespective of seniority, they are quite serious (the joke is, I am actually quite senior, don't let my posts confuse you). The upshot is that I wont be an SJ player from work anymore, there is way too much downside for me. And that only leaves a few spare hours each evening that I already use for other importnat things so I doubt I will be able to sustain even a fraction of my current rate of 2000 words of free entertainment and contributions each day. To use my limited free time like that would be crazy, especially when ultimately it brings no benefit to #3 (that's me, my girlf and dog are numbers 1 and 2)

It comes at a good time since I want to concentrate on putting equivalent volumes of text into my own little website and using spare time for other concerns. Also - please don't be offended - whilst this forum is great for a giggle and some expressive exercise, it doesn't really have much snow activity discussion and particularly not on the type of mountain-habits I'm addicted to. I'm just not getting what I need, and internet forums are after all a substitute for doing, to fill in the gaps by talking about things you like being. I get a bit frustrated scratching around for some fix that isn't there and since my daily internet access time has just been cut by 85% I need to use the remainder wisely. I mean, even EBC didn't even post a photo of her ragdoll accident in NZ. I need stronger methadone than that.

So I have no choice but to fade. Its going to be a culture shock being in front of a computer for 16+ hours per day and having thereof only 2 or 3 hours for carefree internet access.

Lets see how I go with only a few small posts per week, one of which will doubtless be dedicated to delivering the ministry of eternal truth: Niseko is flat hill (and crowded with Aussies and tracked-out and over represented in a country full perfect snow and way better terrain) \:\)

!! Viva la steep. Deep is for sheep !!

(ps - I'm making this overly self-important post because I need to force myself to live up to it)
(pps - I also want to get the SJ.com Japanese snow density project up and running with Souby, aka, Sediment. More on that later)
Sounds interesting. Please tell me more.

Yeah, I can't use forums at work either. Plus when I'm at home I usually don't have much time either or can't be bothered cos I've got other things I want to do. Time is a limited resource, particularly for the naturally lazy like myself.

Quote:
Originally posted by soubriquet:
Have you ever watched monkeys in zoos?
... or gladiator movies? ;\)

Seems like the company you 'work' for has experienced a marked decline in efficiency, has done the checks, and noticed that the increase in web-browsing correlates to the decline.

Bastards, eh?!

Our offices are similar, but I'm lucky enough to work in a field that has a serious lack of trained/experienced staff, so they can shove the rules.

Good luck with it, but I bet ya break under the stress of reduced SJ release! :p

I am very easily distracted at work and so turn very quickly to the internet. It is going to be very strange just working without stopping all day. To be honest, it wont happen, I'll just have to walk around the block every 30 minutes. I am not paid by the hour and will do what I please with my time at work, so long as I perform. They are taking a blanket approach by applying the same rules to all types of employees.

The 20 minutes also includes checking personal email. They claim to be capable of recording whenever an external website or non-company email is open. What a joke. 20 minutes per week? I will doubtless blow 20 minutes per day, but it will be on things like news, weather and booking flights and cars rather than a Japanese forum. The former is simple to explain away, the latter is impossible.

Having said all that, I do spend far too much time on the net at work. I'll admit to that. I am also a lazy Australian and Germans take their work so seriously, moving to a new task as soon as they complete one, never an idle moment on company time. Companies in Germany are a little like in Japan and the staff get all unified and proud and dedicated. Not my style.

Sounds awful spud... I prefer hands-on work like lanscaping and construction because you're always a part of the job and plus there's no dealing with office-pricks most of the time.

But at the same time, i'm f***ing sick of labour work.

>Also - please don't be offended - whilst this forum is great for a giggle and some expressive exercise, it doesn't really have much snow activity discussion and particularly not on the type of mountain-habits I'm addicted to.

yeah, dont think the majority of peeps on here are hard-core crackheads... lol.gif :rolleyes: confused.gif Who reinstated Hitler at your office?

dude, take your laptop with its mobile internet card and do some private clandestine surfing.

Sudoku is an addictive and great diversion to have a break and sharpen your mental faculties at the same time.

Another option get a web crawler and trawl your favorite sites in your 20mins and then browse offline, though the gestapo in your office would more than likely notice the new software pretty quick.

Sigh.

p.s there is not much snow activity discussion here at the moment as there is not much snow around they would appear to be a positive relationship between the two variables.

wink1.gif

Don't worry FT, I'l be here daily to come up with some shit for you \:\)

SG - You cant just sit at a desk browsing away on a laptop. And nor can I go to the toilet and tap away in the cubical.

Its like smoking, I keep reaching for the link every 10 minutes and have to stop myself. I have already told my boss I intend to us the internet for an hour per day. So now I have to keep it legit rather than tool around on the forum.

The 20 minute limit is obviously only 4 minutes a day. Its impossible to take seriously. A lot of senior guys at work are taking the piss out of it along with the absolute drop-kick that came up with the idea.

4 minutes a day! I spend more time in the bloody toilet.

I love Germany \:\)