Question for any older SJ members that have reproduced: I want to introduce my kids to the joys of hurtling down a mountain. I am a boarder as is Mrs T. My kids will nearly be 6 & 8 when we're in Japan at Chritmas. Should I stick them in Ski school or try and get them boarding (one resort I am going to does junior boarding lessons from year one so my youngest may just be able to scrape in). I do intend for them to board in the future (I wont leave them on the dark side) ;\) but as I understand it they may get more enjoyment at this young age from skiing. Any thoughts/experience welcomed.

Over the years I've taken my boy out snowboarding and mountainboarding and he's generally enjoyed it. He'd probably have enjoyed it far more if he'd have had a couple of lessons. I can't imagine how much more enjoyment he would have had from skiing.

How about introducing both of skiing and snowboarding and just let them decide what they enjoy the most. A good way of doing so would be to let them have a skiing lesson one day and a snowboarding lesson the next one. There is also the possibility that they don’t like any but are keen to practice some other sport.

I've just confirmed boarding lessons for both of them at Appi in Jan. They start teaching board/ski there from 6 yrs. My son will be 5 yrs 11 months but he is bigger than Jap kids of same age at his school so I think he'll be fine. I'll treat him like Kobe beef and start massaging his calves from now on. ;\)

Quote:
Originally posted by tsondaboy:
How about introducing both of skiing and snowboarding and just let them decide what they enjoy the most. A good way of doing so would be to let them have a skiing lesson one day and a snowboarding lesson the next one. There is also the possibility that they don’t like any but are keen to practice some other sport.
That's what I did - started both my kids skiing when they were about 4- my oldest is now 14 and he is a committed soccer player which goes year round in Japan - now I can only get him away from training or games one or 2 weekends a year.

The 9 year old started out on skis but last year he wanted to try snowboarding and he liked it - he surfs and skateboards well so I guess snowboarding suits him better. But he did tell me a few days ago that he would put on skis and ski with me 'one time' this year...

I taught both of mine to ski, so I can't comment about boarding. No1 took to it immediately, aged about 9. No2 took 3 seasons to be persuaded that he could make the skis work, but we managed it last winter. He was also 9yo at the time. What I tried to do with No2 was to be flexible and not push him too hard. The message I was teaching was that mountains + snow = fun. It was frustrating at times, but we got there.

soubriquet_11.jpg

This is Kaz (8 at the time) with Evergreen instructor, Jordan, last season in Hakuba. Evergreen is great with kids - Kaz had 3 different instructors and had a blast. This was his frst day on a snowboard but he was cruising top to bottom (on the Saka lift) before lunch...

kazjordan.jpg

Quote:
Originally posted by happyhappy:
 Quote:
not to teach snowboarding to anyone younger than 4 or 5. Stick on skis until then.
Whats the reason for that Oyuki?
generally, kids before that age do not have the coordination to move a board efficiantly. On skis, they can move their feet around. On a snowboard, the their feet are restricted, and the subsequent movements that require slightly subtler coordination are harder to learn.

Top it all off by putting a huge helmet on the kid that is a quarter of his body weight, and it makes for a very diificult experience for both the kid and instructor.

as much as i love to tease skiers, my kid is going on skis first, and can change later when he begins to feel self-concious. ha!
 Quote:
Originally posted by fb_steve:
Definitely start them both on boarding! I still hold a grudge against my dad for putting me on skis for 8 years \:\( !
watch them grow up boarding and hold a grudge against you for it...when theyd rather be skiing :p

I never grew up with either though surfed and skateboarded for a long time so snowboarding woulda been more (maybe) natural for me. But in the end I went with skiing. Have been boarding a dozen times or so - love it too - but not as much as skiing cool.gif

Id think parents would choose the same sport for their kids that they do. If it was my youngun, Id be a bit iffy bout the snowboard bindings not releasing for someone pretty young. I might actually just think deep down that snowboarding is gay, like muttsuri bushpig, and wouldnt start them on it in the first place :p ;\)

I think OK's arguments for going on skis first makes sense. Most likely what I will do with my little guy. What's the youngest to put them on skis? Guess you can always snowplow while holding them between your legs and going down the baby slope.

Anybody to recommend good protected kids areas/slopes in resorts around Yuzawa?

SerreChe,

Tashiro might be an ok place for begginer kids.

My monkey will be 19 mths this winter - not quite old enough for skis but she enjoys sitting in a cardboard box while her dad drags her around the flat (we have wooden floors) so I hoping some tobogining this winter will help establish that all important snow = fun mind set.

Thanks Rag-Doll, mine is only 12m old but I intend to get him started early (only if he enjoys it of course). Never paid attention to the Tashiro kids' area. Will check it out for this winter. Can't wait to see him play in the snow.

Actually I always thought to be going up Kagura via the Tashiro side this season. I am getting a bit tired of the mitsumata side. Too long, too flat, up and downs before you reach the top. Only thing is I think Tashiro opens up the top of the mountain later than when you come from the mitsumata side which is a bit of a bummer when there are some freshies...