• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BCS, I have a little trick I use to increase the blood circulation to my sports injuries to speed up recovery. Just using an ordinary shower head, spray the injured area with fairly warm water, about 45C, for about 1 to 2 minutes, then switch two cold water for 1 to 2 minutes and repeat this sequence 3 times. This will not only increase blood flow but also induce the expansion and contraction of the tissue in the area which helps to squeeze waste products into the capillaries to be transported away and make way for more healthy fresh blood to flood the area. You can repeat this up to 3 times a day in the comfort of your own home. Please try it, and if it works, you owe me a beer.

If it doesn't help, and I'm quite sure it will help a lot, I promise to give you a good thigh massage every day when I get to Hakuba. But no cheating. You have to really try it and honestly tell me it doesn't work if you want that massage.

Of course, this treatment cannot be used if there are any open wounds in the injured area.

My Brother had a very similar injury last season in Whistler. A big haematoma on his thigh from a tree collision. He was off work for about 6 weeks. During that time he was seeing a physio a couple of times a week. I understand that he was doing lots of range of motion exercises and spent a bit of time on a stationary bike but was on strict instruction not to over do exercise outside of the sessions.

I feel your pain! I had a haemotoma in the exact same place as you. Lasted for a couple of months and I couldn't sleep at night for a while because of intensely painful cramping. Had to take suppository painkillers up where the sun don't shine just to attempt to sleep. I just rested and recuperated and eventually it went away. I think I have quite good circulation in my thighs though...Good Luck!

hey snow bums, thanks so much for all the advice and anecdotes!

le spud - no i'm not walking for 2 hours everyday and i don't intend to on a fragile injury, it's not ready for that yet

markie - have been trying your hot/cold plan - the first doctor i visited in jp advised on this and gave me hot and cold bandages - i know that it's good to get the circulation going - are you a doctor by the way?

me jane/sunrise - thanks for cream/ointment advice - still going with the arnica, which promotes white blood cells which eat up and absorb the fluid inside the hematoma slowly. also the first doc in jp gave me hirudoid.

slow - thank you, shintani has a umm bad reputation, i dont know i never hear ANYTHING good about the docs in this town unfortunately and people advise me to head to bigger hospitals, my second stop in jp was to matsushiro hospital in nagano city 3 weeks ago.

stag/matt - thanks, i know it's terrible but it's actually good to hear some personal experiences, seems these things definitely take their time.

UPDATE - it's been 7 weeks now - i saw a doctor today who looked at my leg again, after a day of panic and upset yesterday (ewok and dizzy thank you guys!) about me not really knowing what's going on or what to do. her prognosis was quite the same as the last doc i saw at the big hospital in nagano city. she said the hematoma is still there, with a lot of fluid too - she said it is completely normal and there is nothing to do except WAIT. she said it would take one month more, if not more than that. i asked about going to the onsen - totally fine - and from my experience it makes it feel a lot better. i asked about exercise - she said light low impact exercise only - i acquired a mountain bike tonight which needs a tune up, and from there i'll start to slowly strengthen the muscles by biking. i asked about drainage of the hematoma or fluid in there - she said NO WAY - huge chance of infection - and i figure that fluid is there for a reason and is part of the healing process. she said it's so big and still there 7 weeks on and will take longer simply because i hit is so hard and damaged a huge amount of muscle in the area, tearing it and making it bleed so badly. so there we go, injuries like this take a LONG time... i'm guessing my damn leg might come right the day the snow falls ;\)

Quote:
Originally posted by eskimobasecamp:

le spud - no i'm not walking for 2 hours everyday and i don't intend to on a fragile injury, it's not ready for that yet
Then only walk for half an hour? You have mobility, so gently use it. You cant expect your body to give you health unless you require to be healthy. Strange how you responded to my honest advise of a relaxing daily walk as though I was attacking you. What motivation does your lumpy leg currently got to heal itself? None. A relaxing gentle walk each day will remind your leg muscle that its purpose in life is walking and it will realise that it cant do that with an old injury puffed up with liquid. So it will respond by attempting to heal itself... but only if you gently prompt it to do so with a little walk each day.

Your leg wants to get better, but you are not letting it.

spudo, sorry mate didn't mean to sound like i was attacking you with my response, just writing a few quick and to the point responses to some people. yes a gentle walk would be fine, but 2 hours everyday would be overdoing it... i dont have an 'old' injury, i have a recovering one and quite a bad one at that. gonna tune up this mountain bike and get my muscles going on that... gently gently nothin too wild yet thumbsup.gif at the same time i do have to be very careful not to overdo it because i mashed up the inside of my leg bad style and time and not neccesarily exercise is what is needed here, but yes from my own personal opinion i want to gently exercise it everyday.

markie - pardon?

nice markie. I still say draining it is something that you should look into. As of right now I think your season is not looking good. If you crash on that leg again the way it is now you will not make it out on your own steam.

Im gonna be hard here but its not meant as an attack EBC.

1 Are you putting the team at any risk even just off piste say around happo?

2 How much of an impact or body tweaking will it take to re-injure this leg?

3 Will you get tired or hurt on a hike?

4 How is your mind?

These are some of the questions youll need to answer to only yourself before you commit to any off-piste sking.

Find a physio place in Omachi and go there after work every week. Also take Dizzy up on his advice and his room and go see his families Doctors if you are still worried.

I hope that im wrong and that your season will be the way you wish it to be. Just in case start to lower your goals and just focus on getting to be able to walk as long as a healthy person can.

Yeah, but she's still living alone and still has to earn a living herself while nursing that injury. But I guess she'll be OK as she is a tough cookie and seems like she can move around quite a bit now.

O.K., spud, I'll take your advice and get over it!

hey thanks guys, i was out on university visits all day, finally home now. thanks for the support i really appreciate it.

it's very true FT and those are all the things i've been thinking about, i definitely don't think like 'ohhh i'll be good' and charge it out there this season and the last thing i wanna do is put the team or myself at risk either. i can't answer those questions just now, but i won't be doing anything this season that's too crazy. i reckon my leg will be fine by time it snows, but i can't pretend it won't be easy to fall on my thigh again, and falling there wouldn't be a good idea. i have to see what happens over the next 2 months really. yes physio would be good - will talk to a teacher tomorrow who's wife is a physio at omachi hospital. for the time being my goals are lower and my only concern is recovery. my plans to ski here and there, and hike up wherever are on hold until i'm ok.

it's a huge injury and it's going to take time. the good thing is when i look back now i can see slow improvement - i think back to the times just a couple of weeks ago when it was impossible to even walk properly and without a lot of pain. i can now totally walk normally and with no pain at all, or only a little pain sometimes. the tissue and muscle is still recovering and repairing itself, so i still have fluid in there on top of that area, it's going to take a bit more time. but i feel like i have a better understanding of what's going on with my leg and the timeframe involved. i was shocked the other day at the 7 week mark, because some how i imagined this would take no longer than 8 weeks.... but it's definitely going to take longer than that because of the extensive damage to such a large area. and yep it could have been so much worse, had i hit it further down, i would have shattered my femer, 2 doctors confirmed that and said i'm lucky.... worse still had i not been wearing a helmet i would be somewhere else, and i'm not talking about a hospital in nz.

thanks markie i'm ok - i can walk and live alone fine, but yeh it's a bit stressful at times being here alone, being responsible for everything and working. i looked at flights to the uk the other day, sometimes it's a bit tough and i feel bad and wanna fly home for a while - but in the end i'll be fine and will look back one day at this experience.

Quote:
Originally posted by me jane:
I The doc gave me an ointment called Lasonil.
To reitterate mejane..Lasonil is really good for bringing swelling down and relieveing pain. We were given it after nearly every rugby game and it really works well and you can notice a marked improvement in comfort levels. If you can get hold of some give it a try, certainly won`t do any harm. (unless it`s an open cut!)
How about using ultrasound also? It is especially good for peripheral nerve injuries and used a lot in sports injuries back home. It increases your blood flow in that area and also provides very gentle massage . Reccomend it.

thanks rach!

does anyone know if lasonil is available in japan?

will have to ask a mate in london to find some if not, my mum has just flown out of the uk now.

for now the arnica feels good and i just biked round aokiko, so easy - very flat, was round it in 20 minutes - but it woke my leg up thumbsup.gif

Quote:
Originally posted by eskimobasecamp:

does anyone know if lasonil is available in japan?

will have to ask a mate in london to find some if not, my mum has just flown out of the uk now.

If you dont have any luck in the UK send me a PM with an address and I'll through some in the post for you.