Yippeeeeee. Stoked, just booked my tickets! clap.gif clap.gif Depart Perth Thursady night 21 Dec and arrive in Tokyo the following afternoon. Depending on the snow will either spend a few days in Tokyo or head straight for Habaku, Return on the 25th Jan. Best part was all on frequent fliers! I needed 126,000 points to get there on business class and back on econ. Couldnt belive it but I had 127,813 points!!!!! So I'll be getting there at the pointy end of the plane. Great way to start the trip. Thanks for the info to date people, plenty more "newbie" questions to come. Gotta run and go bore some mates with the news hehe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Business were the only seats left available and I couldnt believe my luck in having enough points.

Below is a list of expenses I have come up with for the trip. Can you guys think of anything I have missed and those who might know, what are some indicative costs. Thanks.

Taxi to Airport $40

Airfares 0

Taxes 0

Travel Insurance

Train to Tokyo Satation

Bullet Train to Nagano

Bus To Hakuba

Accomm

Lift tickets

Food

Fun

Bus To Nagano

Bullet to Tokyo

Accom in Tokyo 2 nites

Meals in Tokyo

Taxi Home

(Perhaps we should leave all that tomfoolery to the Nisssuki thread - otherwise SJ might start worrying about people abandoning this "full of shite jokes and misleading info" forums! \:\) )

Hope you have a great hold panhead man!

Shinkansen (Bullet) to Nagano is about JPY 16,000 return, as I recall. You can do a return from Shinjuku by highway bus for about half that (it's 4-5 hours each way depending on traffic and weather). Bullet train is of course faster but Nagano's not that close to Hakuba so the Nagano-Hakuba bus takes at least an hour.

Accommodation in Hakuba - depends what degree of luxury you want. Can get 3000 yen per night (without food) if you are seriously budgeting.

Lift tickets - price varies considerably between resorts. Budget 3000-4500 yen per day.

Fun? You're not coming here for that...sky's the limit

Food - depends. If you want to live on instant ramen and combini sandwiches you could keep down to 2000 per day + 1000 for lunch on the slopes. There are a lot of reasonably priced restaurants in Hakuba, though (generally cheaper than Tokyo in my experience). Food and beers for 3-4000 yen per head at a cheap izakaya.

2 nights accommodation in Tokyo at a reasonable business hotel - 25,000 yen. Nice hotels are 20,000+ per night.

even companies in hakuba spell their own name wrong.

Hakuba Goryu

Habuka Goryu sign at the top.

Good work doing it yourself is better. buy the flexible 4 day JR pass and take the azusa from tokyo to hakuba. thats what i would change.

Thanks Fattwins, did you get my email?

Veronica - the name doesnt come from a series of kitchen accidents as some presume \:D , its a lot more boring then that I am afraid. A panhead is an old harley made in the 50s - 60s (roughly) and I had one for a while whilst living in the US and my seppo buddies came up with the name. But if you can think of a better reason pls feel free to mention it and perhaps I can use it next time someone asks. :p

Hope you are all having a nice day.