a friend of mine just came back from japan skiing and keeps on going on good it is there. since i got a spare month in januray i decided to see if it is really that good. i have done some skiing in austria and want to know if it is the same or better/worst. i have decided to go to nagano or more to the matter hakuba and have decided to stay at "snowbeds" for a month they quoted at 59,000 yen which to me sounds a fair price. IS this way too much or on par with what other places are charging around that area. Has anyone stayed there before? is it any good? and info ideas would be greatly appricated

2000 yen a day is not expensive. Many pensions will be charging 5000-7000 yen a day. They are pensions though Snowbeds is a backpackers style place. People want different things. It depends what kind of place you want to stay in.

There are heaps of people on this forum who have skied/boarded in Hakuba, including Fattwins, but not me. I know nothing, but if you try the search facility (above) you will find plenty of information.

If it`s snow you want, spending January in Japan is a very good idea. You won`t be disappointed.

Snowbeds is great. I stayed there a couple of years ago for two weeks and had a ball and met heaps of people. The bus stops outside your door and there are heaps of restaurants and bars in the street. You can't go wrong with that deal.

Quote:
Originally posted by thursday:

And you should try Niseko first.
Is this so you have better things to look forward to in the future. The beauty of Hakuba is you can just keep going back.

I think you should be more honest with this guy, you'll just end up misleading him.

Winadil - Niseko is very popular with the gay skiing community from Australia, which is apparently extremely large. You've gotta hand it to gay guys - they are very picky and usually only go for the best - and the snow in Niseko is top quality. But honestly, it is the new Sydney Mardi Gras, except Oxford Street is steeper than Niseko.

Quote:
Originally posted by le spud:
I think you should be more honest with this guy, you'll just end up misleading him.

Winadil - Niseko is very popular with the gay skiing community from Australia, which is apparently extremely large. You've gotta hand it to gay guys - they are very picky and usually only go for the best - and the snow in Niseko is top quality. But honestly, it is the new Sydney Mardi Gras, except Oxford Street is steeper than Niseko.
lol.gif lol.gif
lol.gif

Now that im in the same game as snobeds etc I cant and dont want to give information on prices anymore. I really must watch what and how I post as well.

Why the heck should the guy go to lame Niseko. He already said that he didnt want to ski such a flat mountain. Thats what Niseko is Flat good snow but flat.

The old small town fighting over every yen/dollar/shilling game.

I've been through it in the ski-pub business in Austria when the locals all laughed and said we wouldn't survive the first winter and then became jealous after we opened 3 more pubs in the surrounding area in the next 3 years. I've been through it in Canada too.

The success of our business in Austria brought more people to the resort as it became better known and in a short time it even reached the 'world famous' class of success. The locals slowly began to realize that if they focussed on making their own businesses better, and not wasting time and energy on local politics, it was better for the tourists and better for everyone - but took about 10 years for that to work itself out.

The same thing happened when we opened the first pub in the new town center in Whistler in 1980. All the new business were fighting with each other and trying to steal customers and protect their 'own'. It took years for the town to mature and have business focus on cooperation and improving the overall tourist experience - which should really be the focus of any resort town.

To stop the in-fighting in Whistler in the early days, we sponsored a locals race for all of the hotel/restaurant and bar staff - it sure helped break through the BS and helped some of the early businesses shift from negative in-fighting and move toward cooperating.

It didn't happen quickly and there will always be rivalry but there is a line between a healthy rivalry and a destructive one. There will always be resort town competition - but if everyone focussed on improving the tourist experience instead of haggling over every yen, everyone with a good business will benefit.

A word of advice for those just starting out - from an old ski bum who has been through it all before...

i hear yeah but for peace and harmony its best to let others talk about prices and stuff from now on,,,

I want to work with certain people and i think that its best to keep my mouth shut about that side of the biz.

Its a small town and its good to talk your place up, i dont want the perception that im talking bad about other places.

Quote:
Niseko is very popular with the gay skiing community from Australia
Someone actually quoted me that last week. I wonder if they read it here. Or - is it true?!
 Quote:
Originally posted by le spud:

lol.gif lol.gif

Funny as usual spuds.

I stayed at snowbeds and really liked it too. Good group of peeps up there when I was there cool.gif

Prenty of praces to stay in Hakubas ;\)

Cant go wrong with Snobeds. A great place to stay and Mitch who runs the place will be able to give you lots of good advice on places to go.

Im thinking if I havent got any work in Jan/Feb Ill probably go to Hakuba for a couple of months or more next winter as well. Hopefully there will be a good crew of people to ride with.

Quote:
Originally posted by veronica:
 Quote:
Someone actually quoted me that last week. I wonder if they read it here. Or - is it true?!
lol.gif
How long does it take for a rumour to become true.
Le spud you could have started something here lol.gif

Yeh i've definitely heard some great things about snowbeds, looking forward to heading over there with some mates for feb so keep an eye out for us (but if you're staying at snowbeds like us, there's no chance you'll miss us). Can't wait.. Wish i was going for january as well!

• 2 weeks later...
 Quote:
Originally posted by TJ OZ:
 Quote:
Originally posted by veronica:
 Quote:
lol.gif
How long does it take for a rumour to become true.
Le spud you could have started something here lol.gif
oh dear, Spuds dictating the resort demograhics now. Good one.