• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

did you have to pay the toll to get up there? i thought you lived in new west? that is a long drive mang!

looks like a grizzly to me. the shoulders are what give it away. regardless of the species, you can be sure any close up encounters with it would have been grizzly. stay safe out there!

I was at MEC yesterday and meant to buy some spray but forgot \:o

I didn't have to pay the toll. In that picture you can see the toll booth I think. they are about 2 or 3 km past the trail head for this climb. But it's only 10 dollars or 1000 yen. I used to hate having to pay it but after Japan that seems so small.

I'm living in Chilliwack so it was only an hour drive.

Where I was when I saw the bear was pretty safe. It was a steep ridge and getting onto to it was a bit tricky. But none the less had I been 15 minutes quicker I would have run right into it in the saddle.

Trying to stay local. I got a list of mountains that I now have the skills to climb. Trying to knock as many of them off as possible. Been back 10 days and have reached 6 summits. Not as many as I had wanted so far but my feet just aren't cooperating. My slippers (ski-mountaineering boots) are just to kind to them and they turned all soft like office worker hands. Trying to build up calluses but that takes time.

So here is a trip that I just got back from. Was going to be 3 days but the area is so remote that I kind of got spooked so just climbed the summit I wanted and got out after 1 night. In Japan I have no problem doing solo trips but then you are never really alone. Either there is a marked trail or a couple hundred people in front of you. I've done a load of bushwackes in Canada but never solo. It's what I like but when you forget to bring a book your mind wanders. I physched myself out and so retreated. The other summit I wanted wasn't as easy as I had read on the internet. It would have involved a steep ridge and a little glacier travel.

But here are the pictures

2312 meter Lindeman on the left. This is taken from the very overgrown logging road I wacked up. Still a ways to go and have already slogged 2 hours.

toque_350.jpg

Black Bear print with my 28.5cm shoe next to it. I even saw a little yearling in the old growth. It was about 10 meters away and was scampering up a log. Must remember to get a bear banger. That's 2 bears in 4 trips.

toque_346.jpg

I reached the saddle shown in the first picture after 5 hours. I started way down near the end of the valley. 2 hours of over grown logging road. 1 hour of severe bushwacking up very gross 2nd growth and 2 hours from there. In the background I've got 3 summits on my list. Of the 7 back there I've only climbed 2 before.

toque_344.jpg

Middle Peak which is the other peak I wanted. I'm trying to figure out if in fact it is that summit as everything I read said it's an easy walk up. A little compass work helped me figure out that the beta was wrong.

It's an interesting summit because it's just over the border and you have to cross over it to climb. Border is on the mellow ridgeline just before you summit.

I'm wearing my jacket not because it's cold but to protect myself from the horrible bugs. A little culture shock there.

toque_349.jpg

The summit from my camp. You can see my bivi at the bottom. I scrambled up the class 3 rock. Fun time and was up there in 45 minutes from camp.

toque_353.jpg

Tha's me

toque_354.jpg

Amazing views from the summit. 4392 meter Mount Rainier 250 km to the south and near Seattle

toque_351.jpg

3286 meter Mount Baker just 50km to the west. And also Middle Peak that I wanted to climb

toque_345.jpg

2501 meter Mount Challenger jsut to the south. If you read CascadeClassics.org you can see the route they took to ski the summit. Also look at Terror Mountain just to the left of it which is also on that site.

toque_348.jpg

And the Canadian Cascades. Mount Slesse at 2439meters is at top middle. Chilliwack where I've lived 24 of my 27 years is just on the other side of that mountain. The side shown here is the East side.

Quote:
On December 9, 1956 a four-engine DC-4 crashed onto the east side of the summit pinnacle killing all 62 people on board. Because of the severe and then-remote terrain and the thick snows on the Cascades that winter, the wreckage was not found until May 1957 when a group of climbers stumbled upon a navigation map; soon after other relics and remains were found, many months after the flight ceased radio communications and was lost. The area proved too rugged to recover any bodies or wreckage and some is still scattered across the cirques below the peak's east face.
toque_347.jpg

And that was my weekend. Good times in the mountains. Even though I did get a little spooked. I got one of the summit that was at the top of my list and I've wanted for a long time.

Funny that you mention the guns because on the hike out I ran into 2 inexperienced fellows that were trying to get into the area I was in. 1 of them had a shotgun and other had a rifle. They were from the city and very scared of bears. They were really surprised that I'd be out there without guns. I weas really surprised that they were hauling all that firepower up the hill. They didn't even make it to the end of the logging road and I gave them a ride back into town

FT - It a sad thing what only 1 month of parties can do to a body. But now I'm living and eating healthy

No doubty it's fun and also nice to get out of the humidity I bet. Let's see some pictures.

The colour and the shape of the rocks, the amount of trees... everything looks so different in those mountains. Its really nice scenery. Is Bagaboo Spie near to there? Rainier looks like a nice 1 or 2 days of hiking and riding fun. Probably too warm to do it at this time of year?

What spooked you out, the bears of a sudden recall of the Blair Witch Project?

I wouldn't be too scared of the bears. After all, if one was kind enough to take a picture of you whilst you did your makeup, then they are hardly going to eat you ;\)

ps - trust you to have grown up in a town called Chilliwack \:\)

Hahaha

I was making myself pretty for a late night encounter with Mr.Left

I know that bears are just as scared of me as I am of them

So that doesn't worry me so much

Hell on this last trip alone I saw at least 30-40 piles of bear scat, a load of tracks in the mud and even a little bear in the trees just 10 meters away. I'm really not that worried. I eat more meat than they do I'm nearly a vegetarian.

It was a lot things that I hiked out a day early for. I was alone in a remote area (The last person to sign the summit register of the main peak I climbed was 2 months before. And that is a very popular mountain), the bugs were really bad and as I only bivied there isn't really an escape other than wearing a jacket in 30 degree heat, I have huge blisters on my big toes, I was worried I would get my dad's truck stuck on the drive out, a peak I would have had to traverse to get to my 2nd peak looked a little hairy and then the other peak I wanted was looking a little hairy as well. I would have tried to climb it no problem with somebody there and I didn't have a book to read. The sun sets here at 9:00pm here so the evenings stretch on forever. In Japan I was in bed by 7:30 or 8 and asleep. Over here I'm up till 10 waiting for it to get dark. That's a lot of time for an idle mind. I can only look at my maps for so long.

I'm not scared of sleeping alone in the alpine. I am scared of sleeping alone in the trees. Every creek or crackle I think a witch or the boogy man is coming to get me. I have a very good imagination and sometimes it gets the better of me.

The Boogaboos are in the Purcell Mountains which are close to the Rockies. They are a region of BC called the Kootenies which is where I'm moving in 2 weeks. But I'm moving to a different part of the Kootenies and will be about 100 km as the crow flies from Bugaboo Spire.

Right now I'm about 400km as the bird flies from that area. All the mountains I've been on are in the Cascade Range. To the south of Vancouver are the Cascades and to the North are the COast Mountains.

guns scare the poop out of me. those guys are more of a danger than the bears if they are that scared.

spud the bears are big and there are quite a few in Canada. Bear spary and controling your garbage is a must.

i dont have any real good pics toque but here is me or my friend takefumi 6 meter flipping. 07030031_G_001.jpg

I looked at bear spray and bear bangers today

Bear spray comes in a large 500ml bottle. No way I'm carrying that on a waste belt

Bear bangers are not allowed to be used in parks and I was told they take a bit of time to load anyways

Looks like I'm just gonna have to keep singing real loud while hiking

I always used to carry bug spray but got out of the habbit in Japan where it's never been a problem.

I also have a few issues with some of the chemicals being rubbed into my skin. Deet isn't the healthiest of things. And it doesn't stop the skeeters from buzzing around your ears with that annoying noise they make which to me is way worse than them biting