spud that pic was taken when the line had the best snow cover. the middle section gets quite cliffed out depending on the cycles.

climb wouldnt want to climb for 6 hours and have to turn back id perfer a 2 day window to camp either. at the top of happone ski resort or karamatsu. In the spring the window of timing would open up a bit more. but the lines would narrow to just a few choices.

To be honest i want to work my way there by sking a few chutes near there and getting a better look at the place up close.

When are you coming next year?

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been sitting fuming at my desk for the last couple days reading this topic

I'm pretty sure that line is East facing

Please correct me so that I can know I've been getting all worked up about something else

Quote:
Originally posted by Fattwins:

the climb in is not easy, its long 6 hours or more and the ridge line is thin, or so the map says.
Never believe map time in Japan. They are summer estimates for old ladies.
You can usually knock off at least 1/3 of the time if not half. Conditions depending of course.

FT of the 3 times we made it out to Karamatsu (just out of the picture on the left) it only took us 3 hours or would have taken us 3 hours had we not been slowed down...
I say add another hour for the final ridge traverse and you should be happy.

karamatsu is east no. ill break out the topo tonite if you really want too. east would mean even less time to get in. i will always over estimate my time the first time that i climb to it. Now im feeling presure to this so guys relax. when i feel its right ill do it.

Just the picture is enough to psych you out. Even the 'gentle' lower ground is a freak show. Ahh well.

There is a ridge in the Cham area that looks like that one. It's called Pain de Sucre. I searched on it and found this. http://www.paindesucre.com/

Anyway, toque, why hav eyou ben fuming? Do you mean pissed off annoyed or wanting to go out on the snow but can't?

FT - I hope to be there in January for 2 weeks. Most likely too early for The Sock.

Quote:
Originally posted by le spud:
Anyway, toque, why hav eyou ben fuming? Do you mean pissed off annoyed or wanting to go out on the snow but can't?
Just being sarcastic because you guys were saying the Sock faces south when in fact it faces east

I agree with you guys, the couloir is not obvious from the pic, but it is from the summit, not the left side. If you strain your eyes really hard you can even guess the tracks there. It is slightly slanted to the right from the summit. It is my understanding that this line is not done very often as the face is usually wind blasted and does not have enough snow usually. Still awe inspiring.

Gotta check the link sent by Spud. sounds interesting.

Spud, the 2 guys you are talking about are Jerome Ruby & dede Rhem. Dede died in 2004 caught in an avalanche under the pointe Helbronner on the italian side of the mont blanc unfortunately... RIP