Let's keep Japan out of it (we don't want Japan clogging up the top 50! ;\) ), I'm interested to know where's your favorite resort in the world?

Wow New York? How come Fattwins, can you tell us a bit more?

I'm hoping to try out Switzerland next winter \:\)

Mt buller - Victoria.

It's a training ground for the world's greatest snowboarders. If you can survive the rocks, dirt and gum trees sticking out of the ice/slush and the bunnies, kangaroos and wombats on the slopes - 60 degree chutes are nothin'

the resort had everything a resort should have. you said resort which means apres ski, things to do, etc. This place had good night skiing, great restaurants, cool mix of hotel types, funky town, great bars with both for older and younger types. Thats why i choose that place as a best resort.

I was a Fernie pre expansion so the resort itself sucked. skiing was great.

Whitewater that aint a resort.

Big White heck i didnt even see a building it was so whited out either when i drove through or when i skied it.

Silver star too small.

Gifu resorts heck build more than one hotel please.

Hakuba i love it more than any other place but its a resort town stress the town part.

Quote:
Originally posted by rach:
Let's keep Japan out of it (we don't want Japan clogging up the top 50! ;\)
I don't think you will have that problem

I've never been to Europe or skied in America other than Mount Baker so I can't really say but
Best I've ever been to was Red Mountain BC

Hmmmm, Western Canada: Kicking Horse. It is a resort, although before i left they had not finished the only hotel.

In eastern Canada/USA, Tremblant PRE Intrawest(evil), Jay Peak (great snow), Lake Placid (huge vert for east) and for the down home hippie feeling Whitewater/Red Mountain of the east, Mad River Glen.

Red actually was recently bought by an american investor so you sure as hell can bet it will be a resort sooner or later.

If you include places to park your camper then both Castle and Whitewater become a "resort".

A place that i have heard rave reviews about back home the island is Mt Cain. It's about an hour or two north of Cambell River.

In Europe, i think it is a toss up between Verbia and Portes du Soliel. (anyone speak french? is it de or du?) both are HUGE and fit the classic european idea of a resort. however i've never been to austria and would love to check the places out there.

it's Les Portes du Soleil.

les trois vallees in France was pretty good even though we didn't get to 2 resorts. Only did les menuires and Val Thorens. Just a massive place.

and I'll have to say Whistler for North America

Very subjective depending on what your are looking for and the conditions when you go. For those I have been to many times to in France in my own backyard:

La grave

L'alpe d'huez

Les 2 alpes

Serre Chevalier

otherwise had great conditions at Fernie when I went there, but have not been enough times to judge.

Quote:
Originally posted by Toque:
Rach change the subject
FT is breaking things down too much
I don't car about resort

Red Mountain is my favorite place to ski
I don't care about apres
And there are a few bars in Rossland
i`d almost go with RED too! scored it real good- 50+ cm dump. has got the steep too!
if ya survive tha lead smelter in Trail it also has a few bars. one that i remember is Looney Tunes. it was like somethin out of a movie. bar flies like you wouldn`t believe and every single one of `em had a red neck ;\)
right though, not really what you`d call a `resort`. for a resort i`d say Vail/ Beaver Creek.

I agree with you BCS (a.k.a. EBC) L'espace killy is my favourite too. I also likes the 3 Valleys and Les Portes du Soleil. These places makes J-resorts seem tiny.

yo markie - yep they are huge, non?! ahhhh les trois vallees, also c'est saki bon! you need a whole season to cover all of the terrain in some of these places, it's just endless... and if you know where to go, you can ski into italy hahaha, which is always fun thumbsup.gif what i love is the lift technology, makes j-resorts look antiquated by comparison.

Don't think you can ski into Italy from those resorts, but if you are in Les Portes ud Soleil you will certainly be going between France and Switzerland all the time. I remember I carried two wallets when I was there...one for Swiss Francs and one for Euros.

Quote:
Originally posted by Kumapix:
les trois vallees in France was pretty good even though we didn't get to 2 resorts. Only did les menuires and Val Thorens. Just a massive place.
You covered the important/better places from there is goes down hill but the prices go up.

I really like Serre Chevalier. The old town of Briancon is great, but the terrain is best on the other end of the resort. Main advantage is that it isn't on everyone's list to visit. So more snow for yourself.

Champery in Portes du Soleil is a charming town on the Suisse side with a good park and lots of powder fields and some good bars. Much better and way more expensive than Avoriaz.