• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just want to say thanks for all the info photography-dudes. Interesting. I'm thinking about buying a camera myself and wondering what to get and whether to go for a chunky big impressive one or a decent and sleek small thing.

It's a compromise. I have a compact digicam, and the results are fine. I hated the lag between pressing the shutter and the camera firing. I bought a DSLR, and it's a revelation. Instant photography, just like my old SLR. It's big though.

I can have it both ways, so I'll carry the Canon in my pocket when skiing, except for the times that I dedicate to photography. Then I'll take the Nikon.

Other than snow time, it's a no-brainer. The DSLR wins hands down.

I have another lens question. Sigma lenses OK? I was in the local shop the other day and trying out macro lenses, you know real close up. Looked like a lot of fun could be had with one of those... anyone got one?

No I haven't. They are third party maufacturers who make good lenses which will cost you half the price of a Nikon lens.

Nothing wrong with them, 'cept the resale value and your ego.

My friend has the D80 with a 18-200 and 105mm micro lens. I love the micro (macro) lens he takes some stunning insect shots. He's mad about bugs.

Like the link thursday!

Thanks Bushpig. I went into a camera shop the other day and tried the Sigma 105mm macro. Got up real close it was fun. If only things like this were a bit cheaper.... \:\(

What kind of things did you end up taking pics of with macro?

I take lots of pics of small creatures. small lizards, bugs, frogs, anything that I spy. Of course you have to be very patient with things that like to move. Macro can also get you some cool pattern shots from various surfaces.