• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The IR filter gives you a shot like the two first shots that I took. But on a brighter day you get that real silver glow particularly off plants and water, because they reflect a huge amount of IR rays. What the guys have then done is some simple manipulation to put some colour back in to the areas they want, like the skies.

I believe you can do anything with Photoshop, but what's the fun in that?

I prefer to let the camera do the work and if it's not possible, then...... leave it at that.

Don't seem right to me to go fiddling with Photoshop to change it to that much extent, just my feeling.

I agree. Actually the best IR photos I have seen have only slight colour variations coming through from only minimal fiddling. I like the end effect and I really like the shiny white glow you get off foliage etc. with IR.

sunsets themselves will probably look pretty lame. The big effects come from refelction off things that would normally be quite dark, such as trees. The sky itself will most likely come out a pale red/grey.

Not quite in this case soub. It is the infrared spectrum being reflected or absorbed that makes the dark vs light. Trees are not hot at all but shine brilliant white because they reflect the infrared rays coming in from the sun. It is less to do with heat and more to do with reflection in the case of this particular filter. It only allows the ir light of the entire light spectrum through.

Have a look here...

Quote:
Let me emphasize here that digital IR photography typically relies on reflected NIR from sources like the sun and incandescent lamps. Digital camera sensors based on silicon are not sensitive to the far (thermal) IR wavelengths (typically 3.0µ and longer) emitted by objects at room to body temperatures. Heat leaks from houses aren't visible in the NIR, and people, animals and other objects at room to body temperatures don't glow in the NIR any more than they do in visible light. To photograph them in the dark, you have to provide proper NIR illumination using a suitably equipped camera like the Sony DSC-F7x7 or an external NIR-only flash with no filter.

it is IR but near infrared as opposed to far infrared. Anyway, we are splitting hairs here. The point is it can produce some interesting pics, and works by filtering all but that wavelength of light.

lol.gif Mate they call it an IR filter. True, it may not be what you are imagining when you think of the IR that is emanated with heat, but read through that page and you'll understand what exactly it is, and how it fits within the IR definition. Anyway, whatever. \:\)

It's OK bushy. IR is not in my imagination, it has a scientific definition, and I've spent a fair amount of professional time being paid to interpret remote sensed data. Time that would have been better spent learning Japanese as it turns out.