How would you say "skibum" in Japanese?

(Actually, I'm interested to hear thoughts on the actual meaning in English!)

((Is there such a thing as a "snowboardbum"?)

;\)

The same in Japanese written "スキーバム". But, it has been a jargon among Japan ski industry and enthuasists. I would explain to people that skibums are "SKI-Kyou" or "SKI-Kichigai" (mean ski crazy) though the Japanese words give somewhat another feelings. Whum... Ski-Kyo/Kichigai do not always gain living money from ski industry, while skibums mostly gain it from ski industry. Skibum is skibum.

Skibum is

- someone who works at a resort area for the winter to get money to ski/board in the daytime or when they can

or

- someone who doesn't work and is just there purely for the ski/boarding

??

i think that the key word is "bum". what is a "bum" in north america? (well aside from the place where your poo poo comes out of)

it is a derogatory term for a street vagrant. no job, no money. thus i think that the second option is more accurate. and having lived in ski towns for many years, i can attest that there is a BIG difference between the two. (options stated by frannyo. the two options listed be me i feel tend to actually be quite similar. well smell wise at least.)

As daver has said

Ski bum isn't just working at a resort

Ski bum is any or all of the following:

-living in a van or snow cave for the season

-scamming tickets

-dumster diving

-couch surfing

etc. etc.

toque

don't forget the off season spent doing highly rewarding jobs such as: tree planter, heli logger, deep sea fisherman, road/rail crew, and the creme de la creme; robot on a fish cannery!

if you just get a part time job on the hill working two days a week you can get a season pass. then if you get an evening job you have five days to ski. in canada that is still at least 100 days. plus if you are an "unconventional salesperson" you can even have extra cash and a mediocre life off the hill as well.

Quote:
Originally posted by grungy-gonads:
Are you not interested in doing that for a year toque?
I've got to pay off my student loans first
But once that is done we will see
I've got the smelly part down
And I like to eat cheap food