I'll be a couple of hours north of Munich.

The first thing I do? Skiing in Kitzbuhel \:D

I've already made plans. Any of you in the area?

I'm keeping my place in Alaska and I'll be back here in a couple of years. This was just too good of an opportunity to pass up.

Quote:
Originally posted by Markie:
Plucky, haven't heard from you for a while. SO you are moving to Germany. How good is your German? When you say "I'll be back here in a couple of years", do you mean Japan?
I took 4 years of German in HS and 3 years in college. I can understand it, but my speaking skills aren't that good right now. It will come back. I used to be fluent.

I'll be back to Alaska, not Japan. However, I will go visit Japan as I have a lot of good friends there!

I'm just happy for the opportunity to live in Europe.

I'm still working on the Japanese. When I get fluent, I'll probably quit my job and bum around Japan for a few years before deciding where to settle down. Europe seems awfully expensive to me though.

Weird that double posted.

I can't wait Markie. It's going to be fun. I feel the same trepadation as when I moved to Japan. I'm going in to something completely unknown and foreign. I think a lot of us on here know what that is like \:D

How are you doing markie? Have you gotten up to ski much this season?

I'll probably be in the skiarea of Kitzbuhel with new years.

On a personal note:

1. Try to avoid Kitz on weekends.

2. When visiting Kitz leave you board/skis at home and take your mink coat with you.

3. There are many other resorts around that have way more bc than Kitzbuhel, although the new connection to Westendorf seems an interesting treat.

Where are you moving to in Germany?

I lived and worked in Kitzbuhel from '76 to '80 - worked in the Londoner Pub - started working there when I was way below the legal drinking age in Canada - it was quite an education.

I have just booked a flight for my 14 year old son and I. I have a conference in Paris and then on April 23rd will fly to Munich and then rent a car and head for Kitzbuhel. Fly back to Japan on the 27 - it will be a fast trip but I expect to see a lot of old friends. I hope there is still some Spring skiing in Pass Thurn left - they had a decent snowfall this year I hear but a month is a long time...

I haven't used it much in the last 26 years but I still speak the local Austrian dialect of German that I can't use anywhere else in the world without being branded a total mountain hick farmer.

Never learned 'proper' German - but I like the musical accents of the mountains much more than stuffy/harsh German version up north.

I just found this web cam and wished I was there now...

http://www.opentopia.com/showcam.php?camid=802

Mr. Purcell, it's been a while! So what's up with moving to Germany? We were considering going for the World Cup, could possibly hook up. Are the dogs going with you? If you ever get a chance to stop over in Japan you can stay with us anytime brah! Take care of that knee, huh,

L-

The Arlberg is great. There is a back are of St. Anton called Stuben that is fantastic. There is a verry large alpine bowl which can get some sick powder in it.

Plucky, here's an interesting issue I just got from my e-pal.

An English man got in a cafeteria in Germany.

He orderd a cup of coffee.

A waiter served a cup of coffee for the gentleman and asked " how much cube sugar do you need, sir?"

The English gentleman replied " Nein (None in German) "

The waiter put 9 ( Nine ) cube sugar in the cup.

The English gentleman lost words.

Be careful!

\:D

But, "Haus Nozawa" there yet.

I know some guys from St. Anton who went to Nozawa for a season 5 or 6 years ago, but after 3 weeks there were back in the Crazy Kangaroo for the apresski.

Man, what a week this past one was! My well and septic tank froze up. Not something I was planning on dealing with while trying to prepare for a move halfway around the world!

I got a few more details on my move. It turns out I have to make a 3 year committment for the job - bummer ;\) Now that I'm less than a month away from moving, I'm getting really excited!

Sanno - thanks for the advice! I just want to head to Kitz, well, because it's Kitz! I'll do a lot more exploring of other areas next year and probably have a better grasp on what's available. So, it kind of sounds like a Vail or Aspen? One big fashion show on the snow lol.gif

Kintaro - I think the World Cup kicks off in Munich. If you do come over, let me know! I definitely plan on attending a game or two. Back in HS when I was on exchange, I went to some German football championship in Bremerhaven - what a good time that was! It was my introduction to beer and lemonade also. It's been all downhill since ;\) Oh, and the knee is feeling fantastic. I've had some gret ski days this year!

Markie - I actually checked on the cost of living between Munich and Fairbanks, AK (my area now). Munich is actually quite a bit cheaper than here which leads me to believe it is also quite a bit cheaper than Japan. Fairbanks and Japan seem to be pretty similar. It is 'spensive here in AK!

Once I get settled over there, I plan on mining this forum for some insider info. Thanks for the replies so far.

------------

Yesterday was a beautiful day so I took the day off and made a drive south. I don't know if I would ski these faces \:D Damn they are BIG!

This beast is called Mt. Moore. If you look closely, you can see the Alaska pipeline in the foreground.

Mt_Moore_Closeup_and_pipeline.jpg

Closeup of a random peak

Closeup_of_bowl_below_peaks.jpg

Self-portraits are tough when you only have a 10 second timer

Self_Portrait_and_mts_in_bckgrnd.jpg

There is a really big russian community in this area. So big in fact that the military has to post warning signs in Russian. I found it interesting.

RangeSigns-Russian_and_English.jpg