Firstly I'd like to say thanks to all the members who have loaded me with advice in these forums, I don't think I could have pulled a half decent trip together without this website, seriously!

I have a couple of questions regarding money I'm stuck with. I'm travelling with my girlfriend, we are both poor students, and we don't feel safe carying too much cash over. (Due to our forgetfullness, not theft!)

To avoid taking so much cash we're trying to sus out what we can use our credit cards on. (Brand spanking new ones! \:o )

To and in Hakuba, could we use our credit cards on...

1 - Shinjuku > Hakuba Bus Service

2 - Lift Tickets

3 - Accommodation at Snowbeds (?)

4 - Any Restaurants/Food stores

We've been told that paying on VISA card gets a similar xchange rate to when exchanging to yen in Aus. But taking cash out on the card gets a really bad rate. This post kinda goes on that assumption so I hope that's right!

Thankyou for any advice! My dad just got back from a week at Nozawa with my younger brother and they rated it twice as good as Niseko, I'm sure this goes for Hakuba too, the pictures were insane! I CAN'T WAIT! \:\)

Cheers,

Steve thumbsup.gif

My guesses. I am interested in the responses from actual locals.

1. probably

2. it would be crazy if you can't.

3. no way

4. I wouldn't gamble on it. If you are poor students then you will be eating at basic places (of which there are 100's and they are very nice and serve great food) however it is very unlikely that they will take plastic.

See my other recent post on the topic. Cash is king.

http://www.snowjapanforums.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/8/5404.html#000010

Thanks guys. I had "Cash is King" stuck in my head before I posted this, thanks for jogging my memory spud, thought I'd heard it before! Paying for tickets and the bus up would cut out $500 each so that would be sweet. I like the sound of hundreds of basic places! I'll be spending big for my girlfriends b'day whilst there, if anyone knows some nice Japanese (or even better a nice Korea BBQ) in Hakuba please share! Cheers thumbsup.gif

Mate, your are on the right track if you already have yakiniku in your head (korean bbq). I f*******g crave that stuff. Seeing as you are in the mountains make sure you also eat lots of soba noodle soup. It doesn't really make you feel sated, but it is hot and tasty and usually dirt cheap.

As for cash vs card for the services you listed: mine were guesses. It would be wise to get some input from people who actually live in Hakuba regarding lift tickets and local small food places.

Are you seriously taking a shinjuku -> hakuba bus over the shinkansen?! You must genuinely be poor students. The shink isn't cheap by any comparative measure, but it is a superb service compared to a bus and also a good part of the Japan experience. But if you are lucky, your bus will have a few plastic piss coloured chandeliers swinging from the ceiling. I'm not joking.

Quote:
Originally posted by _spud:
I f*******g crave that stuff

Shit yeah, I love that stuff I ate it non-stop both times I went. I have a menu of one scanned too! Hopefully I can find a joint that does it, I'm sure the Korean influence will be there somewhere.

Are you seriously taking a shinjuku -> hakuba bus over the shinkansen?! You must genuinely be poor students.

Yep, we've done a bloody good job at making an awesome trip cheap though! We managed to hook a nice Ryokan in Asakusa for 3,000yen each a night, then we have the (small) double at snowbeds. After Hakuba it's off to thailand where we can relax a bit with the money thank god! The worse part is my bro and dad just got back from Nozawa to rub it in. My brother got the full works... Shinkansen, all the beer (he brought back two 2L Asahi cans and one 3L Kirin!), awesome accommodation too! It's all about growing up though, I'll appreciate this trip a million times more, especially with my girlfriend

Awesome.

At yakiniku forget the breath-stink and make sure you order those big cloves of garlic cooked slowly on the bbq plate in a little copper pot with butter. That and heaps of meat. Oh, and a mountain of kimuchi. That stuff is unbeatable.

Get rohypnol or valium for the bus.

Is it really that bad? \:\(

Maybe I'll have to get drunk.

Damn! lol.gif

Don't have to worry about garlic! My mouth tastes terrible from wisdom teeth removal, at the moment garlic would be great to get the taste away! It's grose!

Quote:
Originally posted by fb_steve:

We've been told that paying on VISA card gets a similar xchange rate to when exchanging to yen in Aus. But taking cash out on the card gets a really bad rate. This post kinda goes on that assumption so I hope that's right!
With my card I get the same TT rate ( better than cash rate) the only thing is that the cash advance attracts a 3%ish charge. check out your card, best thing might be if you have cash and put your money on ya card before you go, then you may not be charged the cash advance as the funds are not being borrowed..

just ask ya bank..

Yakiniku in Hakuba

Miyama halfway between the station and Happo is the best. You may have to reserve if you go early on on a busy night. It's all Japanese beef, sent chilled without being frozen from Okayama way. They don't have a sign in English, but there's always charcoal buckets outside.

There's a more Korean place on the main drag maybe 300m north of the station. It's more expensive than Miyama, but does more dishes. Their meat comes from Kyushu. Its cooked over gas, but is still very good. Better than the majority of yakiniku places in Japan for sure.

Due to the US beef ban, all beef is expensive in Japan now. Especially tongue.

Quote:
To avoid taking so much cash we're trying to sus out what we can use our credit cards on. (Brand spanking new ones! \:o )

To and in Hakuba, could we use our credit cards on...

2 - Lift Tickets
3 - Accommodation at Snowbeds (?)
4 - Any Restaurants/Food stores
you can use CC at Happone and 47, I did this year.

snowbeds? used to be pretty much cash only but they may have changed.

You can definitely use your credit card for lift tickets (unless they pull that "we only accept Japanese credit cards" crap, which I highly doubt). My friend used his to buy a ticket at Happo (I think) over new years, no problems.

BTW, I took the bus from Shinjuku to Hakuba last year and it was fine. spud is right about the shink experience, but if money is that much of a factor then the bus isn't that bad. Besides, by the time you get off the shink in Nagano and get a bus or train out to Hakuba, you actually only save an hour or two.

Enjoy your trip mate!

When he returns to university will he be able to brag to his mates "me and me missus shagged in the toilet of the shinkansen in Japan!"

No he will not.

Bush Pig, you off all people should be able to appreciate this.

The long bus ride wouldn't be an issue to either of you. Perth boys are used to the long bus ride from WA to Australia.

Quote:
When he returns to university will he be able to brag to his mates "me and me missus shagged in the toilet of the shinkansen in Japan!"

No he will not.

Bush Pig, you off all people should be able to appreciate this.

The long bus ride wouldn't be an issue to either of you. Perth boys are used to the long bus ride from WA to Australia.
lol.gif
 Quote:
My dad just got back from a week at Nozawa with my younger brother and they rated it twice as good as Niseko, I'm sure this goes for Hakuba too, the pictures were insane! I CAN'T WAIT! \:\)
That's what I like to hear thumbsup.gif
 Quote:
Originally posted by Fattwins:
call snobeds and ask about the cash or credit policy these days
last season it was cash only to the best of my knowledge. Anybody out there pay with a CC at Mitch's place? Snowbeds is in a great location - close to slopes, shuttle, food, onsens etc.

Thanks for the responses guys! I'm still catching that bus though Spud! Just over $50AU each way.

I emailed Mitch just then, we'll soon see about card or cash. Snowbeds is sounding great Creek Boy! \:\) Cheers

Quote:
Awesome.

At yakiniku forget the breath-stink and make sure you order those big cloves of garlic cooked slowly on the bbq plate in a little copper pot with butter. That and heaps of meat. Oh, and a mountain of kimuchi. That stuff is unbeatable.

Get rohypnol or valium for the bus.
just make sure ya don`t spill tha HOT liquid (oil) on ya hand!!!
 Quote:
Originally posted by Creek Boy:
fb_steve, sorry I missed you at the party mate. I only found out that was you and your wife the next day. Too bad, woulda been nice to have had a beer. Maybe Ill catch you on up there another time from the sounds of it ;\)
you are tripping dude! fb_steve was at 30000 feet over the ocean on his way to Japan on Sat night.
The guy you are thinking of is TJ OZ.

Hey CB, I did ask about you and was told you left early (soft ;\) ). Good to finally meet you guys. Had a good night. For those I missed I am sure we will eventually cross paths. For those who forgot me I was the one with the shiner and the stunning blond on my arm \:D .