Best place to stay for 1st time skiing vacation?

Planning to spend 1 week in Japan for a vacation in march with my girlfriend. Never been to Japan and have never tried skiing before so a first for both. I would like a recommendation on not only a great ski resort, but one where I'l be able to get lessons, equipment hire and importantly be able to do some sight seeing of some other areas of Japan. 5 star preference for the resort but whatever is nice.

Also some recommendations on places to visit while Im there would be great.

Thanks.

Yeah Ive been browsing search and the resort spotlights for about an hour or so today but my internet connection is throttled back due to being over my download quota and the speed is killing me. I havent found much usefull in search so far. I figured this was just an easier question to ask someone whose been there already.

The best place for you to start is the this here forum (search), the reviews and maybe the now pages to get an idea of whats in those popular areas. Mountains of opinions in all that lot.

Posh resorts? Posh ones I know are Arai and Naspa. Are you skiing or boarding?

I will reccommend that you have a look at Hakuba. I have stayed at Mominoki 4* I think. It has a great onsen. From there you could take a trip to see the snow monkeys. This is a definite must see for nature lovers. Also Matsomoto to roam around a 15 century Castle. A great all round spot.

As far as you don't speak Japanese, you need some English speaking instructors, right?

I have been working to persuade it to many ski resorts, ski schools here. But still not all of them have some.

If you come to Hakuba, I think you can get all what you need. Unfortunately I don't know other area enough , can't go observing something in winter coz of my job.

I might throw in another idea, if not too late:

Take a serious look at Arai. Book direct by contacting Blair, no need for a travel agent. It is near a pretty 'alps' area called Myoko Kogen. The facility is first class and the service as well. It is ideal for a first time family visitor with some budget to spare. An easy all in one family package, which is not to be undervalued in Japan, a country not as accessible as many other ski resort nations.

http://www.araimntspa.com/

blair@araimntspa.com

What up doc?

Mominoki is nice, they give you good prices on the rental and the have good English speaking instructors there. But it is really a 3-star hotel and it is not a ski-in ski-out hotel. You have to walk a bit to get to Happo One, the nearest gelande and that is not really suited to beginners. Tsugaike nearby is very good for beginners but you have to rely on shuttle bus services.

Arai is really an ace of a 5-star hotel/s. But the gelande is quite limited and it's difficult to commute from there to other places if you want non-ski sightseeing.

For ski + sightseeing, I recommend Karuizawa or Gala Yuzawa or Tomamu in Hokkaido. These not only have excellent 5-star standard hotels and have ski-in ski-out facilities, they are right next to the train station so any day you feel you want to take a break from skiing, you can conveniently hop on a train to other towns for sightseeing and shopping.

For avid skiers, the ski-in ski-out thing is not that important because they set out in the morning totally prepared to spend the whole day on the slopes. However for beginners, I suggest this option because apart from when you are having lessons, it means you can venture out to the slopes from the comfort of the hotel at any time and go back for short breaks at any time.

Without the ski-in ski-out option, I also recommend the Hilton Hotel in Otaru. That hotel has shuttle services to to ski resorts: Sapporo Kokusai and Kiroro. That is an excellent hotel with a sea view and is located within the largest shopping mall in Hokkaido. The town of Otaru is at its doorstep for sight-seeing and it is also next to the railway station so you can visit Sapporo only half an hour away by train as well as many other towns along the railway line.

If you have a really good budget, I recommend the Windsor Hotel in Hokkaido over-looking Lake Toya. That's the ultimate in the luxury skiing performance and will be the site of my honeymoon as soon as I find someone stupid enough to marry.

Quote:
Originally posted by Markie:
You have to walk a bit to get to Happo One, the nearest gelande and that is not really suited to beginners.
??? The walk is about 2 min on a flat road and two lifts will take you to the main on mountain area where you can go down greens blue or black runs. Nothing wrong with this place. wakaranai.gif

Learn to walk? I know how to walk. Just don't want to, especially with Fattwins picking me up at the door each time, not only to hit the slopes but also to the restaurants!

My favourite is still Prince Higashiyama in Niseko with the gondola going right into the hotel.

Quote:
Originally posted by Markie:
Two minutes walk! That really makes me sound lazy doesn't it. But I think it probably takes me 2 minutes just to get from Evergreen to the outside road.
I think it was about 5 minutes walk to the slope.
I'm with you Markie. I don't like to walk in wearing ski boots and never had belly problems. ;\)
 Quote:
Originally posted by slow:
I'm with you Markie. I don't like to walk in wearing ski boots and never had belly problems. ;\) [/QB]
hahahahahaahhaha you're complaining about a 5 min walk?!!!!

I have memories of last season..... what was that? 15 mins? But even still we managed to beat FT to the first lift that morning......

I'am also not in Japan and just go for a few days.

I would not go to Nozawa Onsen. The resort is good, but the village is quite small and there is not too much to see. Hakuba sounds a bit more exiting with cafes, restaurants and things.

If you have not skied before, I suggest you opt for very short ski. Maybe snowblades. That's how I started, and I got up and running in 20 minutes.

Quote:
Originally posted by Kraut_in_HongKong:
I would not go to Nozawa Onsen. The resort is good, but the village is quite small and there is not too much to see. Hakuba sounds a bit more exiting with cafes, restaurants and things.
I think Nozawa is one of the prettiest ski-towns in Japan. Narrow winding streets, many free onsens, little shrines under deep snow. Many photo ops.
 Quote:
Originally posted by scouser:
How far from Niseko/Rusutsu is that Windsor place. Looks very posh.
The Windsor hotel Toya..., negative legacy of the bubble economy... I think it was 2-3 hours drive from Windsor hotel to Niseko.