Skiing near Tokyo in early December [Help wanted!]

Hi

I'm new here. I'm French but I'm working in Tokyo right now. I'm going back to France on December 17th but I want to try the Japanese snow before that.

I am part of a French skiing club in France and everybody told me the Japanese snow is really great.

But I have no idea where to go and when.

I went to Hakuba this summer, I guess it is the nearest place form Tokyo for skiing (?)

Please, help !!!

(of course I don't have my skiis, and my budget is really limited...)

thx

Hi

I first read this (it written "read first", I'm obedient!) but I couldn't find similar topics.

Mine is quite specific about the two first week-ends in December. I hope I could motivate some people (skiers or snowboarders I don't care, just snow lovers!) who know the area better than me.

thx

Thanks.

There must be better snow conditions there in early december.

I've seen Shinkansen is 12000 yens back and forth from Tokyo, and ski pass about 5000.

I will check inns in the area.

I think it is easy to rent skiis ans boots too.

Does someone plan to go there on December 10-11 ?

I should go with a friend but as we say "the more the merrier".

• SnowJapan Admin

Hi Mama

Dec 10th and 11th is still early for Yuzawa - (probably) only part of Kagura and Naeba will be open around then.... maybe some parts of resorts in the town area, but of course it will depend on the snowfall. (Here's hoping everywhere will be open!!)

Quote:
Originally posted by Mama:
Thanks.
There must be better snow conditions there in early december.
I've seen Shinkansen is 12000 yens back and forth from Tokyo, and ski pass about 5000.
I will check inns in the area.
I think it is easy to rent skiis ans boots too.

Does someone plan to go there on December 10-11 ?
I should go with a friend but as we say "the more the merrier".
Hiya Mama,

If you go to viewplaza in most big(ish) stations in tokyo area you can get a day trip ticket to Naeba for 9000yen/kagura for 7700yen. (ideally you need a bit of nihongo to sort this out) This includes lift pass to!. But this is early season so snow might not be great of course.

check out the skiing mags in the stations and something called eki-net
 Quote:
Originally posted by Mama:
Thanks uggggllllyyyy!
I will check this with my nihongo (basic but when it's for skiing I'm sure I can do it!)
Mama,

My nihongo is only basic but i manage. The following link is useful to.

http://www.travel.eki-net.com/jrsnow2005_first/index.asp

Hope you get the chance to go.
cheers
uggggllllyyyy

In particular, this part of the report:

>>>

OK, next up on the resorts opening list is "Kagura" (as they are marketing it this year - not Mitsumata and Tashiro as separate resorts, but just "Kagura"). There's reportedly about 30cm up on the main Mitsumata slopes and about 80cm on the main Kagura gelende. They plan to open up the main Kagura gelende and the Gondola course for the first time this season on Saturday (26th).

SydFunnelWeb, welcome to the Forums.

Just to make one important point here - the Now! reports on Snow Japan are NOT provided by the resorts.... they are written by us and it is our intention to always tell it like it is. If it's raining hard and the snow is really crap - that's what will go on the Now pages.

Hope you enjoy the winter.

Just to make a casual observation, some peaple are bloody lazy aren't they. It is easier to post a question than to read the topic properly, the link to yuzawa's now page has been given 3 times!

It's bad enough when people don't search the forum, but when they don't even read the information provided in the (very short) thread there is just no excuse. I would understand however if the thread was 100 pages long. Come on guys, make some sort of effort

• 2 weeks later...