Looks like a couple of companies are doing it. One called Bioglide in the states, and a Canadian one called Hillbilly wax works . Apparently Whistler/Blackcomb is switching its rental shops to Hillbilly.

I would like to get some. Has anyone ridden it, or knows a place in japan that sells it? Do Japanese people even care?

This winter i am making a stencil that says `温暖化は敵だ`and spraypainting it on my board and anybody that idles their car at the local convenience stores.

> and anybody that idles their car at the local convenience stores.

I hope you're joking about that. Because if you do that, then they'll just go and have their paint job redone, and won't understand why you did it. Tap on their window and talk to them nicely instead. It sometimes works (mostly it doesn't).

I did that the other day at the local snowboard shop (tappig on the window, that is). Th guy looked really freaked out about some gaijin skater coming up to his car with a big smile.

I asked him if he snowboarded, and then if he was happy about the decreasing snowfall. Then i asked him not to continue to contribute to global warming, and he finally caught on and turned his car off.

No, i wouldn`t stencil someones car. That would be silly.

As for existing waxes, they contain stuff that does not break down very well, and has stuff that is toxic when heated and burned.

I just got an e-mail from hillbilly, and they will be selling their stuff over their internet site this year only starting in a couple of weeks.

Quote:
Originally posted by Oyuki kigan:
I asked him if he snowboarded, and then if he was happy about the decreasing snowfall. Then i asked him not to continue to contribute to global warming, and he finally caught on and turned his car off.
I wonder how much extra he polluted because you never got to the point ;\)
Good on you though

I've slept in my car in a couple ski parking lots in Japan and some people in big vans will come in and run their engines for hours. Not only bad for the environment but ****ing expensive as well.
 Quote:
Originally posted by Oyuki kigan:
I asked him if he snowboarded, and then if he was happy about the decreasing snowfall.
are snowfalls actually decreasing in japan? if so, i'd love to see a graph that show this.

Kanazawa is on the north coast, nnw of the Japan Alps. Like the Alps, its weather is highly affected by cold air from Siberia.

snow_chg.gif

The labelling is a little ambiguous but the line appears to be lowest temp, the crimson bars deepest accumulation, and the blue bars "total depth of snowfalls" (=total snowfall?). Maybe our financial stat people can comment on this, but the temp line appears to be on a slight uptrend and the snow data on a clear downtrend in the late 80s onwards.

Lots of other great data here, including average moisture content (powder rating) and snow per city. Kanazawa gets more than Nagano City.

http://www.city.kanazawa.ishikawa.jp/douken/HP/1-1-2/1-1-2.html

Here is info for Tokyo. The number of days with snow hasn't changed much but snow often does not accumulate any more. Ground temp is higher?

http://www.tokyo-jma.go.jp/sub_index/kiroku/kiroku/data/64.htm

Not the easiest thing to measure, so I'm sure there is some error in there.

On an anecdotal level, basically every old timer in Nagano reckons it doesn't snow like it used to.

Well, i have talked to some older people and they remember times when they had to get out by the second story window in their houses. Just north of where i live, there are apparenty houses with doors exiting on the second floor.

However, they are no longer in use. There just isn`t as much snow.

I think you've just found an argument FOR global warming there, mate! If there was so much snow in japan back in the day, it's almost a blessing people don't have to walk off the 2nd story balcony nowadays to get out the front of their house!

I would've hated to have been a lifty back then, they would've been working underground. And as for the people riding the lifts, they would've been making fresh tracks as they rode up on the lift! haha

Just on the news this morning they were talking about how the Koyo season is getting later and later, something like 19 days late for Kaede trees this year, which they attribbuted to global warming.

We have to do something before we are all reduced to riding in those shitty indoor hills.