I'll be in the area in late December (27th-29th)and was wondering what the village scene was like in Nagano. I recently went to Whistler and had a blast in the village there and was looking for a more traditional Japanese experience in a village near or in Nagano. Are there bars filled with internationally fun people or is it more serene? Thanks for any help and suggestions and good luck to you all on the slopes.

There are bars in Nozawa filled with internationally irate people who have already swallowed most of a bottle of wine and are loudly wondering HOW LONG IT TAKES TO MAKE ONE GODDAMN PIZZA FOR CHRISSAKES!? Neither fun, nor serene, nor typically Japanese.

Not much help I know, but it sort of answers your question.

before you going taking pot shots at members understand that: There are 100 guys that post 3 times, get their info, and never contribute to the forums. You couldve been a bit more polite and said, "I checked and want to hear member opinions" but instead you got cheeky.

In Nagano there is the big village of Hakuba, very spread out.

Nozawa very large but compact and lots of bath houses.

Shiga kogen more inn style than anything else.

Nigata ken close by myoko kogen has a japanese ski village.

In Japan ski resorts, hotels, inns, & pensions serve dinner, which gives people less chance to go out in evening. On the other hand, in north America SR, B&B's and hostels do not serve dinner. The difference gives some influence on making each "village" mood...

Quote:
Originally posted by SnowConnection:
On the other hand, in north America SR, B&B's and hostels do not serve dinner.
That's why they are called B&Bs SnowConnection
If they served dinner then they would be called B&B&D
;\)

I think Wendy hit it right on

the Happoone side of Hakuba has a pretty nice village J.H. There you could find any type of Japanese style restaurants/bars that you would like. Just keep in mind that the time you will be up there is one of the most crowded all year... If youre in Hakuba, I prefer Happoone to Goryu/47 side. Thats just me though \:\)

wendy-cake definitely.

I was impressed at just how lovely the village of Zermatt was in Switzerland. It was a really really attractive place. It puts Japanese "ski villages" to shame.

Even the best of the bunch Nozawa looks a bit of a dump compared to Zermatt.

It's fun for me to give words "Hi! dude, how're you! What'd you get today?" to a non-acquaint skier-looking guy at my favorite bar in Vancouver. If I would do the same manner to Japanese skiers at a bar in a Japan ski resort, I would get a reply "Who are you ?" with chilly eys. Most Japanese skiers/snowboarders have drink beer&sake with their closer friends around KOTATSU in a room of the inn. That's Japan "MURA(Village)" culture.

johns hopkins:

I'm sorry that my post wasn't very informative. It wasn't meant to be snobbery (seriously). But I think most of the stuff now in this thread was covered by previous threads. Additionally, you haven't said what you mean by 'Japanese experience'.

Try:

http://www.snowjapanforums.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/1748.html?#000000

http://www.snowjapanforums.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/5202.html?#000000

http://www.snowjapanforums.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/5343.html?#000000

Additionally, pretty much anything O11 says should be read.

If anybody else would like me to do a search for them, please let me know!

"where a newbie doesn't come on here asking general questions and then goes away after 3 posts"

ahhhh, the cool message boarders

Sorry to have come into YOUR thread. I'm sorry I have wasted your time, as opposed to the time it takes to write your first message.

Contributions??? You know I did ask for help, said thanks, and now I'm off to do my own research. Mission accomplished - and so far only 2 people in YOUR thread have been quality posts. Maybe I can get an avatar, a cool signature, and tell stories about how I get drunk a freaking carve it up bro....Nah, I'll make a few phone calls and respectfully make reservations.

Sorry I can't "contribute". I simply thought this was a message board, my mistake. So when is your club meeting and what are you bringing - cookies? Do you guys have jerseys with numbers or just the usual rugby shirts for this club called "Fun Villages near Nagano"? I'm soooooo sorry I've caused a disturbance in your flow of message board nirvana. You see, I'm a poser...I only pretend like this board is my life....you three on the other hand walk the walk.

Others, thanks for your help and don't get sucked into the cool message board life. OK, gotta run...someone isn't contributing on a thread on Ebaumsworld.com and I need to point it out with a post of my own.

Johns Hopkins, it seems that there actually has been some helpful posts in this thread, and sava even apologised to you in his post.

If you do not like the responses to the thread, please refrain from posting provocative messages like the one above. We can all do without the flame wars.

Thanks.