Depends on a couple of factors:

1. What type of car, station wagon, hatch?

2. How many people travelling?

3. Do you have one of those container things?

4. Do you have ski racks?

I personally use ski racks, but I have a small car.. those container things look great, you'd be able to get heaps in there, only issue is they're quite expensive.

Getting your board edges razor sharp then shoving the thing into your hatchback can do interesting things to the car interior that reduce its resale value. Ditto dropping the board down the side of your car of course.

Depends whose car/s we use - combo of ski's/Boards on roof racks and other gear in back, or split/fold seats to pack sticks inside (generally limits occupancy to three people).

What the hell - get ski in/ski out accommodation and don't need to haul crap! lol.gif

Gear in the Thule, skis on a rack (wrapped, of course) and sleep in the van.

Rach... the roof boxes don't have to be too expensive. Check around, I got a huge 'Thule' from a car accessory store for 30,000, down from over 120,000. I've often seen them on sale (although this may not be the best time of year to score one).

Those containers seem like overkill. If you have a board rack on the roof, then most of what else you need can be stowed inside with a bit of care.

Remember to take these racks off when you don't need them - they add a significant amount to the cost of your petrol through drag and weight.

Quote:
Originally posted by soubriquet:
Imagine rolling the car down an embankment, with all those sharpened pointy things inside. Then visualise putting your hand into a blender.
That's why we use pole baskets
Insetead of getting rammed right through you. It only goes a bit of the way :rolleyes:
 Quote:
Originally posted by montoya:
ok for those putting your skis/boards on top, what are some good roof racks? thule? yakima?
My bars are RV Inno (whatever that is) and the ski carriers Thule. Both are fine. Any car emporium shold sell you a decent set. But if you haven't bought the car yet, why not find one with a factory rack?

I think I'll still stick with things going in the car, at least for this season (not sure how many seasons I'll be here for!) it's not that bad.

My stuff easily fits in the car and doesn't cause too much discomfort either \:\) when there's only 2 of us anyway, more than that and its getting difficult..

Use Thule bars & Thule carriers. Easy to use, long life guarantee, lockable and bought cheap at discount time.

3+ sets on the roof always makes for more space inside.

Also do you guyz put your skis/boards in bags on the roof or let 'em fly naked.

I'm a bag-man - gotta protect the goodies from 130km/h bits and pieces.

use a board condom. They are pretty peasonable here in japan. They are the neoprene kinda things that just wrap around the edges and base of your board. Small, light, and prevents the dead cow skin in your your pretentious SUVs from getting nicked.

Or in my case, where the board is probably more expensive than the car, it keeps my base fresh for the hill.