Hey all,

I just got back from a week-long camping trip with a friend that came out to visit. We did a few days at Wonder Lake in Denali National Park and then drove to Valdez for the scenery and some salmon fishing. All in all, it was a great time! Unfortunately, it's fire season in Alaska right now and there was quite a bit of smoke in the air making a lot of the pictures hazy. To keep with the snow theme, most of these will be of some of the glaciers we saw and visited \:\)

This is a glacier coming out the southside of the Alaska Range. I liked how it contrasted with the surrounding plains. Sorry bout the haze....

Glacier_coming_out_of_S_side_AK_range.jp

Easy Rider in Alaska - Worthington Glacier in the background.

Motorcycles_and_Worthington_Glacier.jpg

Just outside Vadez, AK

Valdez_mts_with_reflection_in_water.jpg

This is the view leaving Valdez harbor. We were going out to catch us some coho/silver salmon in Prince William Sound (yep, where the oil spill took place).

Sailboat_on_water_with_glacier_and_water

I haven't processed any of the other mt and glacier pics yet, so here are some random shots.

This is also just outside Valdez. Check out all of the pink salmon or 'humpies' spawning in the creek! It was nuts!

Spawning_Salmon_in_creek.jpg

The first bear I've ever seen in the wild! I've lived most of my life outdoors but had never seen a bear. So cool! This is a young Grizzly Bear in Denali NP.

Grizzly2.jpg

This is one of my favorite pics from the trip even though it's not that great of quality. I just like the feelings it evokes. This was my first hike after my knee surgery and I had so much fun out there. We had met some cool people from Manhattan and DC and we all decided to go for a hike at 10pm (to avoid the heat and smoke - we had plenty of light). It was fun freaking them out about bears while we were out there and we did see plenty of bear signs (claw marks, bear poo, broken shrubs and bushes..) It was beautiful terrain and the smoky haze made it spooky. Oh yeah, this was Denali also.

sunset_and_smoke-McKinleyBarTrail.jpg

All of us on the boat limited out at 6 Silver Salmon each. I had to do the tourist pic with my fish.

Me_with_fish.jpg

Californians are assholes everywhere they go. Nice parking job. ;\)

California_Parking_at_Denali.jpg

That's all I have for now. I'm thinking I should have posted this on the other board now. Sorry!

sweet pics pluck, I had some friends who live in the Yukon stay with me last month on their way to NZ, the had a whole bunch of photos, that I made into a DVD slideshow for them, its interesting that the Yukon and Alaska are neighbours but look quite different yet the same at same time. (if that makes sense!)

Alaska has bigger Mountains for sure.

Quote:
its interesting that the Yukon and Alaska are neighbours but look quite different yet the same at same time
Both the Yukon and Alaska are HUGE. The terrain varies greatly over both. People think of AK and usually think mountains, glaciers, snow, etc... when in fact a large portion is low wetlands in the valleys between the mountain chains. Taiga and tundra dominate the northern Arctic plain past the Brooks Range. These areas are still beautiful in their own way. I love the Yukon also. I love the open areas, the vastness of the landscape and the rugged beauty. I hope to be able to explore that area a lot more than I already have!

Quote:
How long are you gonna be there Plucky?
Hopefully for the rest of my life! I bought a cabin and property when I moved here last year. I don't plan on ever selling it. I still may move around and work in some other places just to travel and experience new things, but I'll always come back to AK. I love it here!

Glad people are digging the pics. I'll keep posting them up when I get new ones.

Aloha cool.gif

KlingKlang - I've got two acres, so yep, plenty of room!

I'm Sexy - Tons of winter sports to do up here. Snowmobiling is probably the most popular where I'm at, but there are 5 ski areas within 60 miles of me. Thing is, you can't really ski until Feb or so due to the lack of light and extremely cold temperatures! But, our season does last until late May/early June and year-long if you're willing to hike (it's worth it).

I went back down to Valdez with some guys this past weekend to do one last fishing trip. It went very well and I had a blast once again. Here are a few pictures from that trip:

Same glacier as above, just a clearer picture.

S-SideGlacier-AKRange.jpg

This is Mt Sanford in Wrangell National Park. FINALLY the weather was clear enough so we could see some of the giant peaks contained in this huge mass of mountains. Mt Sanford is over 16,000 feet!

MtSanford-16237_2.jpg

I 'think' this is Rainbow Mountain in the Alaska Range. Looks good whatever it is.

Rainbow_Mt.jpg

We saw a pod of Orchas off in the distance from our charter boat. Very, very cool to watch these in the wild!

Orcha_fin_in_PWS.jpg

Guess what kind of shark this is.

Salmon_Shark.jpg

We limited out in 3 hours this time (6 salmon each). The obligatory trophy photo.

Cliche_Trophy_Pic.jpg