Hi -

It looks like I could end up working at a hotel up in Otaru this year from about mid-September, and so I'm trying to find out a little more about the place. I've read all the threads in the forums about the place but there's not a lot of information unfortunately.

A little about me:

* I'm a guy in my mid-twenties, so I'll be looking to go for a few drinks from time to time, hang out, meet people (yes, girls), etc.

* Japanese language is not really a problem for me.

* I'm a beginner snowboarder - I've spent a grand total of seven days at the snow in my life. I'm planning on improving this a bit while I'm in OTARU.

What I don't really need to know about OTARU:

* Anything about Debito

What I would like to know:

* What's it like living in OTARU? A lot of people seem to have caught a ferry to there, or gone there for sightseeing, but I haven't heard of anyone ever living there.

* What's the nightlife like? I'm guessing that with a population of 150,000 it's going to be pretty average, so I'll be catching a train in to Sapporo most weekends. Though I suppose I don't necessarily need a gaijin bar in order to go for a drink.

* What are the nearby ski fields like? Will I get bored? Will they be to hard?

Thanks again for any information!

MT

Quote:
Originally posted by MT:

What I don't really need to know about OTARU:

* Anything about Debito

Its an american bloke, arudo debito. Dropped his american citizenship and now attacks things he doesnt like about japan. think his site is debito.org

What I would like to know:

* What's it like living in OTARU?
I did a season in Niseko and went to Otaru a few times. Really thought the place was dull. But does have a great German beer hall. But, with Sapporo so close by it wont be a problem for you Id think.

* What are the nearby ski fields like? Will I get bored? Will they be to hard?
Youve got quite a selection near by...so I would seriously doubt youd get bored. I skied about 100 days at Niseko and loved it!!

Thanks again for any information!
Sorry this is so short, at a netcafe in Oz so no time. Will add more when I can mate.

Welcome wave.gif

Hi yamakashi - thanks for the reply! Your experience there sounds similar to the other people who I have spoken to. Most people don't actually live there, it seems. But they all describe it as a nice place to visit (albeit boring).

Looks like I'll have to find my own fun there. I'm sure it's lurking somewhere there in the shadows.

MT

Some people often compare Otaru to Hakodate, I'm not sure if that is a good comparison as I haven't really spent alot of time in Otaru.

You can always find your fun. Get to know people and they will show you a good time regardless of how big the place is.

But like you said Sapporo is close by (about an hour by car?).

I like Asarigawa onsen ski resort.

It's more like hill than mountain. You can't expect powder snow. However, I always enjoy quiet atmosphere and seeing local people skiing. If you are a beginner, it must be a good place to practice.

Can't you enjoy surfing in Otaru?

Thanks again for the comments guys.

I think my main concern was the size of the place. People I have met from Japan invariably describe their hometown as "you wouldn't know it, it's very countryside" unless they're from Tokyo or Osaka. So I'm still a little concerned that 150,000 will be a little small, but we'll see. There weren't that many Japanese in Sydney, though I still managed to make friends with a fair few of them.

Thanks again!

MT

Well I've been doing a little research myself and I'm a little more enthusiastic since running across this site:

http://popup16.tok2.com/home2/mimatyu/04otaru/04otaru1.htm

3namaasi1.jpg

"小樽の女の子は元気! この寒い(-4度)のにミニスカート 生足!これには 驚き!"

(translation: Otaru girls are GENKI! She's wearing a miniskirt without stockings even though it's this cold (-4 degrees centigrade)! I was surprised!)

Surprised indeed.... \:\)

And it looks like some Koreans also enjoyed the place:

3kankoku1.jpg

"I love Otaru"

Yep, definitely looking forward to getting there now \:D Two days until Tokyo, four weeks until I start work in Otaru...!

MT

Hi there, MT. Otaru is my favourite city in Hokkaido, actually in all Japan for that matter. I haven't lived there though, so my experience is only as a tourist, but apart from Sapporo, it is the city I have visited most often in Japan. The ski resort just above Otaru is Kiroro, which is usually one of the first places to get snow every year and opens quite early. The terrain is not very challenging but the facilities at the Piano Hotel of the Yamaha resort there are fantastic.

Also, just outside Otaru, (one train stop just before Otaru coming from Sapporo) you'll find the biggest mall in Hokkaido, with the Hilton Hotel located within. If you have a wife or girlfriend, don't take her there. That place consumes a lot of time and money...extremely dangerous!

If Otaru gets too boring, remember that Sapporo is only a half-hour train ride away! I bet you'll have a great time there (says Markie full of envy).

Hi Markie - actually, I have read all your posts on snowjapanforums.com about Otaru. Your enthusiasm for the place has been very reassuring! Thanks!

MT

Quote:
Originally posted by MT:
Hi Markie - actually, I have read all your posts on snowjapanforums.com about Otaru. Your enthusiasm for the place has been very reassuring! Thanks!

MT
MT, you may wanna take heed to Markies advice - hes, without a doubt, the single most crazy nutter on this forum, and he doesnt even drink, smoke, or do drugs - thats just wrong... lol.gif \:D

No worries mate, I should be up to full steam again this season. OK, so I was a bit late starting up last year, but did you get to enjoy my finale, that great Easter dump at the end of the season. I was at Tomamu then and by the fifth day I was there, the powder was so thick the flats were almost impenetrable but the slopes were fantastic!

BTW, don't believe Yamakashi. I DO drink a lot, usually guzzling down a litre or two of Coca-Cola each meal. Furthermore, every time I feel a bit off, I always obediently take all the drugs my doctor prescribes for me!

Oh, Toque, you must learn some nihongo, otherwise once we get started, with Fatts, Yama and Slow, you'll be left with only sunrise. Talking with sunrise is fine, till she starts about health foods..uuurg...that sends shivers up my spine. Just thinking of health foods destroying my taste buds and contaminating my body makes me squeeky.

Hey, scouser, how's it going?

Nothing is set in stone yet. For Christmas, I am planning to do Furano, but Shiga Kogen is still in my mind. I have The Three Valleys/Courchevel or Meribel ear-marked for the coming February. For Easter, a lot depends on the snow conditions so that will be finalized maybe a week or so before departure. Kiroro is quite a safe bet because it usually gets fresh snow up to quite late in the season. Arai usually has a good accumulation of snow which melts slowly. Karuizawa is very safe because it has artifical snow (this is where Fattwins gave me my label "Snow Making Markie"). However, I would love to try out some other resorts I haven't been to, such as Naeba.