A new Interview - with forum member "gamera" - has been put online.

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/features/interviews-gamera.html

"As you may well know if you visit these Forums, "gamera" is one of the popular Japanese regular posters over there. But who is this mysterious creature?! We spoke to gamera - whose name is Mr Masaki Bono. In 1989 he decided to quit his banking job in the city and to follow his dream of opening up his own business in a snow village. Here's his story of how he started his new business in Hakuba and tried to change with the times.

Over to you, gamera...."

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/features/interviews-gamera.html

Please note that the views expressed in any Features on Snow Japan are not necessarily those of Snow Japan.

Discuss it here...

Hi Gamera, I wish I had known about your place in my frequent weekend trips to Hakuba. In the beginning of my Japanese snow experience I didn't know so many other riders so I would just go up for a day trip on Saturday. If it snowed during the day then I would wander the town in the early evening looking for a pension or inn to stay in. With 5 words of Japanese available to me it was often a funny experience, but nearly everyone smiled and laughed. Most of the time I would forget to pack a towel and after my bath I had to dry myself with a roll of toilet paper. So my hint to you as a good Hakuba inn keeper: keep a few small towels for unexpected guests \:\)

7-11 : it is, less stress coz i work for myself. \:\)

me jane - natto is a nice toy to tease baaaaaad gaijins \:D

Toque - sure, but it was hard to persuade/explain why to people worry about me. \:\(

Sobriquet - if I were some more years older and got paid more from the bank, it might not have happened. I might have taken an easier way to stay being a bannker. clap.gif

Actually I like natto, and would be upset if I couldn't have it with a Japanese breakfast. (just ask Slow ;\) )

Nice article gamera. Good on you for following your own dream. I had similar issues of lack of understanding and support from family, etc, when I decided to go pro musician. ("when are you going to get a REAL job?"). I see you even host your own forums on your website. How do you find time to come here? eek.gif

You're a lucky dude Gamera - most people only get to live out part of their dream as a holiday, etc then go back to a disliked work place.

Good to wake up in the morning and know that you can be as extravagant or as low-key as you like, eh? ;\)

Congrats! Maybe one day I'll get there and pay yo'all a visit. \:\)

P.S. Nice looking place. thumbsup.gif

Sub-zero : I know what you mean, if I didn't make the decision, no idea how I live now because the bank I worked for got bankrupted some years ago! Not easy to find a job in this country being over 35 years old especially if you don't have any special skills.

tsondaboy : haha, you want some punches? lol

merryJim : sometimes, now we have some peppermint, sparemint, so we can put some of them in a tea cup and also have some marow with which we can enjoy some "magic" tea.

clap.gif