So, Australian/NZ peeps - how's it going down there?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it was very spring-like on the weekend @ thredbo. "ski between the flags" is the phrase we use - it was so warm, it was like a day at the beach.

the snow was softened nicely by the sun, & we scored plenty of "ice-cream" freshies in the golf course bowl.

pretty unusual for late august though - it felt more like late september. still, i had plenty of fun in the sun with good mates, & i practiced my spins & fakie riding. it was a reminder that it doesnt have to be a powder day to have fun on a snowboard. pics to follow.

2pints, it was 15 in the village, maybe around 10 at the top.

cold change has just hit - rained heaps overnight, but is snowing now apparnently. im considering a sickie - could be last chance for freshies for this season!

very true Toque.

$87 at thredbo. i buy a thredbo club card every year - $40 gets you $12 off & every 8 days you get a free day.

some pics from last weekend >>

hordes of snowbunnies were in thredbo for a bucks party, apparently... IMG_3338_lo.JPG

one for the ladies i guess...but does he know how gay he looks? lol.gif

IMG_3350_lo.JPG

One of Thredbo slogans is something about "top to bottom" - but its often more like "hopt to bottom"!! this run was closed, has no snowmaking, & cops full sunlight all day, so its not that uncommon for it to be like this..

IMG_3422_lo.JPG

This poor girl fell off the lift & fell victim to the cold overnight temperatures...

IMG_3489_lo.JPG

ice-cream freshies \:\)

IMG_3500_lo.JPG

nice cold system approaching, looking good for up to 45cm between saturday & tuesday! \:D

im going up with a crew on the peak days - sunday & monday (going to work on saturday so i can catch the best of it!) so i might actually catch a decent powder day, finally! will try & take a few photos, although high winds are expected so it may be "planet hoth" conditions... but i kinda enjoy a good blizzard \:\)

Due to yet another forecast of big rain followed by a bit of snow, I decided to ride Sunday-Monday, & work on Saturday to make up for it. Luckily my good pal has a flexible work pattern too, so at 8pm, while most of Sydney were on their 3rd vodka, we hit the M5 for the long haul to the high country...

Saturday night:

Arrive at lodge approx 1am... it's warm & raining... we say a little prayer to Huey & hit the sack.

Sunday:

Still quite warm, & no snow. This was expected, but still dissapointing. A quick drive up the hill to a suspiciously quiet Thredbo carpark... as Lloyd buys his ticket (& I score my free day, thanks to my Thredbo Club points - sweet) it starts snowing - Hooray! Alas, it was just a tease - it stops after 1 minute \:\(

As we ride up Kosciosko express, it's obvious that the lower mountain is totally stuffed - huge areas of absolutely zero snow! The rain has stripped our fine ski area to the bone! Trying to look on the bright side, we do a couple of laps on the Supertrail, ollying grass/mud/rocks/gravel along the way, & seeking bumps to spin off. Around 11am it starts snowing a bit harder, switching between graupel & fat flakes as the wind comes & goes. Within an hour, we can see the primary surface being filled in by clean, white powder \:\)

From about 1pm to 4.30pm, we are riding shallow freshies, so we hit the Bluff & Black Sallys for some big powder turns - Huey has come through with the goods! There were no lift lines all day, so we are seriously exhausted - back to the lodge, spa, sauna, beer, dinner & we crash out in the lounge... then crawl into bed by 8pm - Zzzzzz.

Monday:

15cm overnight! thats the claim... bit of a stretch really - more like 10cm, but who's complaining?! Feeling well rested after our sizeable snooze, we race up the hill & find ourselves close to pole position - no. 15 in the freshies queue, & I didnt even have to do the Sgt. Major routine! Must remember to send the troops to bed early before future powder days...

10 laps of the Kosi chair later, & it's finally tracked out - I've never had so much mileage from 1 lift at Thredbo! There are no lift lines at all. Riding the lower areas (with no base) is something between heaven & hell - if you turn gently & stay quite flat, you're on powder, but if you need to lay down a hard turn, it's straight through to whatever lies below... We venture to skiiers left of cannonball, for 2 laps of some sweet untracked pow in the trees. Our quads are turning to jelly, & its only 11am!

An early lunch & we're back into it - some wicked windblown pow in the trees off the Antons T-bar, then we explore the remains of the boarder-cross track at Sponars. It's quite freaky up there - total white-out, & the berms have become ice-bergs, looming ominously from the fog, & revealing pockets of windblown powder - nice! Back to the Bluff for some fresh sloppy-seconds, & we're spent by 3pm. After dropping through the thin cover & hitting grass/rocks/logs/gravel, my poor punished plank looks like it's been ravaged by a rabid wombat, but nothing some lovingly applied p-tex wont fix ;\)

White good, green BAD... IMG_4044_lo.JPG

Sunday 9am, Monday 8.30am, Monday 8.45am IMG_4046_time_lo.jpg

Village trail 11am Sunday

IMG_4055_lo.JPG

Freshies on the Bluff, Monday morning

al_video_1.jpg

More nice freshies

lloyd_video_1.jpg

at the time of writing, there is another small dump coming tonight/tomorrow - theres life in the old girl yet! just remember to take your old board...