Quote:
Originally posted by sakebomb:
Hotham is probably the best terrain wise, it's my personal fav!!
I agree - best for the so-called intermediate to advanced resort riders.

It's probably the only Riders resort in Oz, that is, hasn't got the night life and circus performance of most resorts, just there to be skied/boarded.

For families, the whole pretty resort experience, and better all-round accommodation options Falls Creek is the go. (There's a helicopter link between these two resorts if ya wanna try a day at one or the other - I'll hopefully give the helio a burl this season just for kicks.)

Miteyak - you'll be dissapointed with the Tassie snow thing. It's a great State for pure foodstuffs, clean air/water and bush walking/caving, but crappo for riding. You'll need to visit the mainland for that.

For BC, arguably the best place is from Charlotte Pass or Guthega in NSW, both provide access to the spectacular Main Range and are a standard starting point for the majority of BC trekkers.

Be aware though, our snow is generally wetter, so don't even think of using a snow cave for shelter unless you have a death wish.

Have a safe and fun time exploring the place.
 Quote:
Originally posted by SubZero:

Be aware though, our snow is generally wetter, so don't even think of using a snow cave for shelter unless you have a death wish.

[/QB]
Four (snowboarders?) guys actually died out near thredbo doing some BC stuff a few years ago. IIRC they build a snow cave and something went wrong \:\( . Any other aussies remember details?

i havent skiied in australia since i was 10 years old. i cant believe how much a day pass costs.

im hoping to get a few days in while in canberra in august. although, i really cant be effed to drag all my equipment across the world for a few days. how expensive is it to rent? is it possible to rent in canberra rather than rent in jindy or whatever?

Quote:
Originally posted by manda:
i havent skiied in australia since i was 10 years old. i cant believe how much a day pass costs.

im hoping to get a few days in while in canberra in august. although, i really cant be effed to drag all my equipment across the world for a few days. how expensive is it to rent? is it possible to rent in canberra rather than rent in jindy or whatever?
There's huge Rebel Warehouse (sports shop) in Jindy where you can rent gear relatively cheap - all the coaches stop there to outfit their hoardes before embarking to the fields.

The gear is okay and generally well maintained, but I'd be bringing my own boots if I were you.

its pretty average so far... the average base went up to a metre 2 weeks ago, with snow falling to 800m, & it was actually looking quite good, then it warmed up & did quite a lot of raining over the weekend just gone (although it snowed up high), so the average base is back to 80cm, & the lower slopes (1300-1600m) of thredbo are bare (while the other resorts are in slightly better shape, with bases above 1600m)

there's a system coming later this week, which will hopefully be cold enough to get some decent snow from, & then with a bit of luck we'll be into the winter cycle.

the snow at higher elivations looked quite good in these roving cams though! i might venture up this weekend if this incoming system improves..

http://forum.ski.com.au/ultimate/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=014042

keep an eye on this site for thredbo news - its very good! also the blogs on the ski.com.au reports page

http://www.ciau.com.au/snow/rrr.asp