• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Originally posted by bong:
Are you planning on going up there Toque?
I was supposed to be skiing up there on Saturday but the weather crapped out.
Was beautiful on Sunday but I had plans I couldn't get out of.

On Norikura?

There are a load of them

On the Gifu side

Suzuran

Pentopia

Hoonoki

Hirayu

HidaTakayama

They are all on the flanks though and don't get very high. Hirayu gets to 1800 metres but it would be a little trek to the summit from there.

I'm not sure of the Nagano side resorts. But the main one that most people go to is below the summit on the flats. I've heard that in winter you can be on the summit in 4 hours

I went into the Karasawa again and we had really good weather. Just a few rain drops Saturday night. Other than that nice blue sky.

Skied a knarly couloir. Was really fun. I would put some pics up but my computer is ****ing around.

Quote:
Originally posted by nagoid:
I did not know that Toque. Are you close to those places in Gifu then?
I'm 30-40 minutes from the resorts on the gifu side. Most of them a family style places though and not worth it.

All this off season talk has reminded me of when I used to ski Black Tusk (south of Whistler) in late spring/early summer. It was not extreme but often made for a great day out.

Access was by 4X4 - a bunch of us would pile in the back of my tiny Suzuki and drive to the top of the glacier on a microwave tower access road. One of us would drive down and the rest would ski. Repeat this a few times, have lunch and a beer on the mountain and then head down for an afternoon of windsurfing on Alta Lake.

Does anyone (Toque?) know of a place in Japan that might be good for 4X4 accessible skiing? My aching knees can't take much of a hike anymore - but going down hill still works...

I don't know anywhere that you can do that fjef. Most places are closed to private vehicles and anywhere with snow now has no roads.

In Tateyama you can take the bus up and then ski down catching another bus. Would get expensive. You could do that in May for good turns semi angled turns though.