• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phool is a technically better skier than me, but I'm more aggressive, so I don't really want a ski with a 100+ waist. I think 90 is about right.

Is there anywhere in Noz that retails cheap?

no a fatter ski makes it so much easier to float, hence turn easier too. If you have a huge ski at like 188 or bigger turning in trees might be harder but on like a 180 or so with a 90 in the waist would be nice - thats pretty close to what I ride regularly.

I've never been in *real* powder, maybe knee-deep in Fernie, but I found the Head Monsters iM75 to be a bit of hard work (but not nearly as hard as the hike to the top of the run... where were my heart pills??).

My skiing has improved a lot since then though, so I thought I could get away without buyig a new pair of skis, but I guess not...

Are there demo services at Nozawa? I'd really like to try before buying.

go fat and you'll never go back! i agree with everyone, longer... i'm only 156cm tall, but my skis are 170cm and 106 at the waist... makes for easy work of the powder, you wouldn't think it, but very nimble in the trees, it is super easy to make shorter turns if you want to, even easier than carving short turns on the groomed!

Quote:
Originally posted by keba:
I like to turn... won't a fatter ski make that difficult in the trees?

Say nothing Phool! :p
eek.gif

lol.gif

ill scope out fats dont u worry :p
maybe i get discount for 2 pair \:D
whats yer cc num again ;\)

What length Seths, Scratch BCs, LBFs, launchers and what bindings?

..... more aggressive... well you close your eyes more ill give you that :p .... but Im still hanging on to the heavy 40 cm day on ramshead...
 Quote:
Originally posted by Toque:
 Quote:
Originally posted by phool:
FT is always talking 180+ and Im always thinking 180-
I have to say it as well. You are a big guy and you are only going to get better. Why lock yourself in on a short ski. The fat ski is going to bring you up to a new level pretty damm quick.

My 2 cents. 180-190 in a mid-fat to fat ski

Good luck on finding cheap skis.

Getting into Sudan's is scary. I remember skiing that when I was 12 and being freaked out of my mind
Now the traverse along Chainsaw ridge (skiers left of Sudans) gets the adrenaline flowing.
Oh I recall that insane area \:o

Skiing when 12 hey ...bah, Im gonna be skiing like you were at 18 when im 40...

As for float and length, in fact from some of physicsmans assessments and posts on epicski there isnt much surface area difference on say 179 vs 169 seths (like 5%) so the whole you sink with the shortie is probably urban legend to a degree.

< 24 hrs now!

Oh and psychologically I screwed my ACL skiing a long ski that I would grow into....
 Quote:
Originally posted by Toque:
Epicski lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif
Meaning you think noone has a clue there confused.gif

physicsman I believe...he advocates fat ski related to your weight. eg small woman on 75mm has equivalent experience of float as chunky FB like me on 90+mm

Ooooo offf to the airport now.... Can someone please organise for a bunch of snow about wednesday next week...give us some time to get settled n'all
\:D
Noz here we come...

that epicski BS is what it is. Ask my wife and sunrise or slow what the difference is between a 90mm waist and a 75mm waist.

For what you want a one off trip to niseko and auzzie powder a 169 sp 95 in the waist or 179 sp or lbf are prefect

Quote:
Originally posted by Fattwins:
Ask my wife and sunrise or slow what the difference is between a 90mm waist and a 75mm waist.
Er, 15mm? ;\)

Yes, I'll chime in - Mr Fats is correct. On my list for next season.

By the way, since you like the Head skis, did you know they've just brought out an iM88 Chip ski? Supposed to ski like the 75 Chip and I guess will be replacing the Monster 85. Of course that's too late for you - cos you can't get them easily yet and you're going shopping in a few days. Happy skiing!